Chapter 42 - We Are Enemies Now

Start from the beginning

"I do have this right," I answered, hardly knowing what else was to be said.

"And how is that?" she said and pierced my soul with her eyes. I couldn't tell her I was another eye-witness, I couldn't support Harry in this. The Order had made it clear that I should remain hidden for now. "So, if you insist, I must ask you to join Mr Potter in my office."

*     *     *

"Hey, Harry," I was waiting outside Umbridge's office after our classes. "I was waiting for you. I'm afraid getting in there alone."

He, however, didn't even look at me.

"Good," he muttered knocking the door.

"Come in," we headed Umbridge voice from inside. By the time we stepped into the office we both stayed by the door for a moment staring at the pink walls decorated with plated with moving cats, pink shelves and furniture, pink pens and tea pots, pink ribbons and material. Basically everything in there was pink! "Good evening children. Sit," she said smiling, showing us to sit in two small desks. Harry and I stepped carefully inside and did as he said. "You're going to do some lines for me today," we rushed to take off our quills but she stopped us. "No, not with your quills. You're going to be using some rather special ones of mine," she got up giving us the two quills. "Now, Mr Potter, I want you to write 'I must not tell lies'."

"How many times?"

"Well, let's say as much as it takes for the message to sink in."

"And Miss Wallis, I want you to write 'I must not hide the truth about my father'."

My heart thumped up and down at the sound of these words, Harry gave me a worried look.

"But why would I write that?" I played the fool.

"You lied, Miss Wallis. Or should I say, Annalise Riddle! When I asked why do you have an opinion about the issue, you told the class nothing. You preferred hiding that you are the Dark Lord's daughter."

"How do you know," I demanded when I realised there was no point in hiding anymore.

"I know everything, dear. No surprise, I am one of the only ones in the Ministry of Magic that know the truth. And if you ask me, it is a matter of time until the papers learn. Now begin."

I saw Harry's eyes more afraid than ever. There was no hate in his looks. However, he could help looking scared. We both started writing. I must not hide the truth about my father. I must not hide the truth about my father. I started. By the time the quill touched the paper, a piercing pain made my left hand lift. I convinced myself that was nothing, but the more words I wrote, the more pain I felt. It was a second later when I saw a little scratch on my skin, like someone had got a knife and tried to carve it. I hadn't realised that the scratches were creating words. I-must-not-hide-the-truth-about-my-father. I read. I looked at Harry whose hand was also scratched.

"Professor Umbridge I-" I said with trembling voice but then stopped.

"Yes?" Umbridge turned to look at us.

"Nothing." I spelled.

"That's right. Because you know, deep down that you deserve to be punished. Miss Riddle, you can go but I need to meet you in private tomorrow at this hour. As for you, Mr Potter, you can continue."

I got out of the office trembling. But I didn't leave. I waited. I waited for Harry to come out too. It needed an hour of waiting but I didn't care.

He got out of the office too. Harry closed the door behind and looked at me for a moment.

"Harry, I-" I started.

"You waited all this time?" he stared at me.

"Yeah," I sounded calm. "I wanted to tell you that I wouldn't ever follow my father. I believe you and I want to help you," I said.

"Do you know how much I've suffered because of your father? I've told you before, I would easily kill you for revenge. But I don't. I won't blame you but if you want to help me you must tell everyone the truth. In fact, you're the only one that can help."

"I can't," I said.

"Then you're no use to me, are you?" he raised his wand and pushed it against my neck. I was afraid for a moment but when I looked into his eyes, I knew that he wouldn't do anything.

"Harry, you won't hurt me. You know I'm not the same. You don't want the blood of the innocent in your hands. I couldn't tell anyone; the Order forbids it! Only a few members of the Order and, as it turns out, only a few people from the Ministry know the truth and it has to remain a secret."

"What's in it for me, Annalise Riddle?"

"You follow the Order, don't you?"

"I could break any rules and orders to hurt Voldemort," he said and tightened his hand on my neck. He moved his face closer to me and in his green eyes I couldn't see any hate.

"You once said you would never hurt me. What changed now?"

I didn't know what tricked me into it but I raised my hand the only way I could, and placed it in Harry's face. Soon, his look softened, his strong grip was now turning slowly into a touch, gentler and gentler by the moment. Harry leaned in to touch his forehead on mine and close his eyes. I could feel his breath near my mouth as if he was about to kiss me.

I slipped my hand on his chest to push him away from me, but then I reminded myself how pointless that would be. Harry wouldn't think like that, and I knew this was all just my idea.

"We are enemies now, Anne," he whispered, but his voice sounded nothing like an enemy. His face was as close as it could have been yet he was still talking of hate.

"You don't want us to be," I said with a sure and steady voice.

"That's the last thing I want right now," he confirmed.

"What do you want then, Harry?"

Harry opened his mouth to say something but no sound came out. Yet we stayed there, standing breaths away from each other, just waiting for one of us to say or do something.

"I'm going to find the way to end this. I promise."

*     *     *

Vote & Comment & Follow

💙💙💙💙