Chapter 39 - Sirius

"Anne, dinner's ready!" my mother shouted from the kitchen.

It was another rainy day in London. I couldn't take my eyes off the page of my until then favourite book. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. It was funny to think that none of my classmates knew who Jane Austin was and they would laugh at me whenever I was reading during class, instead of paying attention to whatever the teacher was lecturing us about. I always felt out of place around them. I guess this was the reason why the news I would get about who I really was, made perfect sense in my mind.

I looked outside the window and contemplated skipping dinner just to stay in my book a little longer.

I remembered that day. It was the day that I would get my Hogwarts letter. It would be joined by professor McGonagall, the teacher that was to tell me everything I needed to know about the magic world. Of course, I didn't know all these things yet. I just wanted to spend a few more minutes with my book/

"Just a minute, Mum!" I said. After I finished the chapter, I went down the stairs and ran to the dining room.

"It's your favourite..." said my mom smiling. I sat down facing the mirror behind Mum's head. My hair was longer. I could remember it was that short when I was 11 years old. My skin was brighter and my body felt stronger. Not like the latest months of my present; I felt too weak to use my strength.

"Enjoying summer, are you? What did you do today?" said my father, who was at work all day long to see what I was doing. He was running a travel agent office and he had a lot of work in that part of the year.

"Reading. I started reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen today."

"Anne is the brightest girl in the class. Her teacher says that all the time," said my mother with a warm smile that she used to have when she was talking about me.

"Yeah, it's not that it makes difference. If the teacher likes me or not, I mean," I said boringly.

"Why do you say that, honey?" said father who had already started eating.

"Well, I hate school..." I muttered.

"How can that be? You're reading a lot, someone would expect that you'd love your lessons," he continued.

"I don't hate the lessons, I hate the children. They're laughing at me. Most of them say that I'm... weird," Mom looked at me and opened her mouth to say something but at that moment, we were interrupted by the knocking on the door.

This is where the dream started diverging from my memories. In reality, it was Mum who would open the front door for us. Instead, in this dream, I stood up myself.

At this point, I would expect to see McGonagall show up but it was not her. It was someone that I wouldn't expect to see here. It was Voldemort. And he was holding my Hogwarts letter. The dream started becoming a nightmare.

"For miss Annalise Riddle," he said showing me the letter in his white hand. That, however, seemed strange. I didn't know anything about him back then. I would call my father to deal with this strange ugly man but I don't know what was I thinking when I decided to take the letter and opened it.

Dear Miss Riddle,

You are accepted to join me, your biological father, in the most racist army there ever was after my friend Adolf's and become a Death-Eater. If you don't, I'll probably kill you.