Chapter 34: Reunited Shadows And Heroes

"I will admit, you heroes do flatter me, but that won't change my heart at all. I have a goal here and that's to eliminate you all," Shadow Byleth giggled. The heroes all gathered together as Byleth raised his weapon at him.

Byleth muttered, "You again, what are you implying..."

"The Golden Tree represents purity, and the opposite of purity is pollution. Therefore..." Shadow Byleth muttered before smiling. The heroes all looked at one another as Byleth turned over to the Golden Tree. The leaves were still golden but usually, they would have a golden glow to them.

Alear asked, "You're telling me that instead of purifying Chrom and freeing him from his curse. We're making it WORSE?!" The shadow heroes all giggled as Shadow Byleth nodded slowly. "GODS! YOU SHADOWS SICKEN ME!"

Shadow Byleth sighed, "Save it for another time Alear, your complaining is getting to my head." The Shadow Heroes all smiled at Alear as she hesitated for a moment. Byleth kept his sword up high as Shadow Byleth fixed his gloves. "You see, this isn't so bad, Chrom gets to die and we'll be all good to go!"

"OH BE QUIET! CHROM ISN'T DYING DUE TO YOUR SCHEMING!" Kirby shouted. Shadow Kirby dashed over to him and slammed his hammer on him. "GAH! You shadows are so foul! Goodness!"

Shadow Kirby laughed, "That's simply how we are, no need to sound too mad about it!" Kirby glared at him as Shadow Byleth chuckled.

"Oh well, I cannot wait to ruin Chrom and make sure he dies... that man is cursed and there is no cure unless you manage to find a way to purify the Golden Tree again! But since it's one of the four aura trees, I doubt it..." Shadow Byleth laughed. Byleth swung his sword as Shadow Byleth dodged the attack.

Byleth asked, "GIVE ME AN EXPLANATION! WHY DID YOU POLLUTE THE GOLDEN TREE?! That shouldn't even be possible to BEGIN WITH!"

"Oh we didn't pollute the Golden Tree; someone else did and is planning to target the Crystal Tree, followed by the Tree of Life..." Shadow Byleth explained. The heroes all stood there in horror realizing what the shadows wanted to do. Sure they didn't cause the sudden discord in the Golden Tree, but there was... more to it.

Byleth ordered, "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE GOING TO TARGET THE CRYSTAL TREE AND THE TREE OF LIFE?! THE FOUR AURAS ARE HIGHLY IMPORTANT FOR ALL LIFE ON DAWN TO LIVE! YOU'RE GOING TO KILL THEM!?" He attempted to swing his sword toward him again but it ended up missing.

"Don't look at me in that way, I get it... you're mad over the four auras being attacked, but don't think too much of it really! We're not causing their downfall, someone else is..." Shadow Byleth explained.

Alear muttered, "Byleth... What do you suggest we do? The shadows will constantly try to harm us and the curse on Chrom will get worse if we don't do anything..." Byleth looked at her before looking at the shadows. Meanwhile, Chrom was being dragged by the Golden Tree.

"Y-YOU PROMISED TO PURIFY ME!! AGHHH!!" Chrom grunted as he tried to pull away. However, the roots seemed to get stronger and stronger. They just wouldn't stop no matter what.

The Golden Tree ordered, "Stand still and we will purify you... you are moving too much and disturbing the purification process!"

"THIS IS NOT PURIFYING MY BODY!! AGHH!!" Chrom screamed as he continued attempting to pull away. But no matter what he ended up doing, the roots just seemed to latch onto him tighter and tighter.

The Golden Tree mumbled, "You are a savior of Dawn, therefore it is only right to purify you the correct way..." Chrom looked up at him in confusion as the Golden Tree started wrapping itself more tightly around Chrom. "Stand still..."

Chrom shouted, "UNHAND ME AT ONCE!! AGH!!" He looked over toward where his sword was laying down. It was too far away, and the curse seemed to be getting worse and worse by the second... Back with the heroes, Byleth finally had an answer to Alear's question.

Byleth whispered, "We'll go ahead and destroy them all. Therefore we will be able to free Chrom from the curse if they're defeated." The heroes all nodded as they raised their weapons. The shadow figures all raised their weapons as well.

Within a flash, something struck the back of Shadow Sonic. He fell to the ground as the heroes noticed who it was. It was none other than... the second future team. They had come just in time to assist the heroes!

Byleth asked, "W-What the..."

"Not to fear! We're here to help you!" Alfred announced. The heroes smiled as Claude also smiled at them. Celica looked over and noticed Alm within the group. Hesitating slightly to even look at him.

Shadow Byleth laughed, "I see how it is, you all want to pick up a fight don't you? Nah don't worry about a thing! If a fight is what you ask, then a fight you will RECEIVE!!"