Chapter 232: Cousin Ding Zhenyun

Xiao Luo and Ji Siying kneeled by the mountain stream to wash off the bloodstains on their bodies. Ji Siying made a call to the county police department, and using her the NSA credentials, requested a team to deploy to Mount Luo that very night. They would have the task of covertly disposing of the Cobra mercenaries’ bodies strewn around the mountainside. With all the necessary arrangements made, they both headed back to Luo Village.

Back at the house, no one realized anything amiss. Earlier, both Xiao Luo and Ji Siying had gone into the room together, and once inside, the volume on the TV was turned up to the maximum, before they stole out the window.

And, no one—not Grandpa, Grandma, Xiao Zhiyuan, or Hua Heying—suspected anything even after they returned. In fact, they all thought that Xiao Luo and Ji Siying had been making out in the room, especially when they both came out looking drained from rigorous activity. Xiao Zhiyuan and Hua Heying even beamed at each other, and quietly gave Xiao Luo an encouraging thumbs-up.

Xiao Luo didn’t know whether to laugh nor cry, and the misunderstanding seemed to have deepened.

New Year’s Day was a very lively affair. Leading up to the new year, gongs and drums had been sounding over the last three days at the Seekong shrine, the new couplet had been mounted at its altar, and red lanterns hung at the front of every household. Kids were gaily dressed in their brand-new garments, and joy and laughter pervaded the village, celebrating the start of the festive season.

“I guess you are disappointed that you cannot spend the New Year in your hometown.”

Standing at the rooftop of the three-story building and watching the people of Luo Village setting off fireworks, Xiao Luo smiled and asked Ji Siying, standing beside him.

Ji Siying’s long, silky hair cascaded over her shoulders, framing her captivating face that glowed with natural beauty—she had fair, smooth skin and delicate facial features that seemed to give her that alluring look. Ji Siying was slender and well-limbed, neither too voluptuous nor too scrawny, and she had good posture and carried herself well. She had the attraction of the classic country belles from the canal towns in the south, famed for their unblemished beauty and even temperament.

“I don’t have a hometown.” Xiao Luo turned and glanced at her, a little confused. She stared back at him, blankly with a half-smile and said, “I grew up in an orphanage.”

For a brief moment, Xiao Luo didn’t know how to react, then he blurted. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay…”

Ji Siying’s expression suddenly became very somber, and the smile on her face seemed to fade. This was the one part of her life that was a void; she had never known who her parents were or what they looked like. Spending time with Xiao Luo’s family, indulging in their affairs, and the festive season’s delights was a new experience. As they watched the Spring Festival Gala together, one could only guess how envious she was.

She pondered how it would feel to have grandparents who doted over her and to have parents who were kind and gentle. If she could trade ten years of her life in exchange for that, she would agree without any hesitation. Often, she wondered if her biological parents had abandoned her at the orphanage because she was a girl.

“Mr. Xiao Luo!”

“Hmm?”

“Can you lend me your shoulder?”

It was unusual for Ji Siying to be so emboldened, but sensing the joys of families reuniting for the New Year, and caught up in the moment, she gave in to her vulnerability and emotions.