Chapter 27 - Dancing

Start from the beginning

I watched Draco climb down the tree, snap something to Crabbe and Goyle and then leaving the courtyard furiously - he ran his fingers through his silver hair, something that he never did when he was calm and collected.

I couldn't leave the courtyard at once; that would be conspicuous to say the least and over the three and a half months that we were hiding any sign of affection to each other, I had learned how to comport myself in these situations. I let some minutes pass painfully and then with slow and airy moves I headed to the only direction I saw Draco take.

I was afraid that he might get hot-headed and go after the poor Durmstrang boy to confront him. The thought tortured me as I checked each and every corridor for him. I had a feeling he was already at Snape's office or worse, the Headmaster's office, where he could be punished for attacking a Durmstang, a visitor and a guest to this school. In my despair to prevent anything, if possible, I did something I would only use rarely, when it was absolutely necessary. I pushed my brain to the future, I forced it to visit a future meeting with Draco. Where would I meet him after seeing this vision? It was a small glitch of the gift I was only beginning to understand.

I saw Draco standing alone at the empty Astronomy Tower and instantly calmed down. Now, I took my time and made my way to the other side of the castle to meet him. I found him practicing a spell that he was not close to succeeding. He inaudibly pushed and pushed the tip of his wand but nothing came out.

"Don't tell me you will go with that hulking slob!" he said, out of breath and shouting.

I shook my head and curled my eyebrows. Apparently, Draco hadn't read the room of refusal earlier.

"I wouldn't," I said with a laugh.

I would get asked by another two Gryffindors, one Ravenclaw and another Durmstrang boy before the week was out. Something in my aura must have told them that I lied to Sergei, that I would indeed attend but was only saving myself for someone better suited. Everyone was wrong of course, so I had to stiffen my jaw and turn down all these proposals.

Draco stared at the turn of events.

"Whatever do they see in that mudblood! She is so pathetic!" he could proclaim during classes and then kiss me in an empty cupboard whenever he got the chance.

Meanwhile, everyone wondered why the most arrogantly and priggish boy in school hadn't asked a single girl at the Ball yet. He hadn't even asked his most ideal match, that Slytherin girl, Pansy Parkinson. 

Every girl in the school received a package by the end of that week. Everyone danced in the halls and practiced their steps, as if they were able to hear the music in their ears. I tried to focus on my studies but I simply couldn't. Whenever I concentrated intensely and entered the zone of reading where you lose track of time, there would be another loud proposal in the middle of the library. Mrs Pince would shout and scold but nothing stopped a Hufflepuff with a big heart.

I could see Draco getting impatient as well. I saw his receiving a package himself during lunch one Saturday noon but he didn't even bother on opening it. Instead, he took a deep breath and watched another vane proposal from the Ravenclaw; friendly Prefect, Jack. It felt terrible to say no to him as well. I knew this boy from the moment I set foot in Hogwarts and although we didn't often speak - at least not as often as I talked to Harry for example, who I considered my true friend - and ran in different circles, it seemed strange to have to lie to his face, repeat my excuse and leave. Also, I would have to hide either at the library or in my dorm during the Christmas holidays because my go-to excuse to everyone was that I had to leave for London.

Draco had watched Jack very closely since he knew we sometimes exchanged one or two words on the new Ravenclaw entrance riddle or our day's schedule and needed a long session of persuasion in order not to search for him in the hallways after that failed attempt to take me to the Ball.