Chapter 66: To change your destiny

Warning: This chapter contains content that may not be suitable for some readers

On Ivy's birthday after dinner with Cassandra, Andrew, Sandra, and her family, she decided to go on a drive alone, up to the hilltop where she once was taught how to waltz by Jason. Just for one night, she felt she needed to relive the memories as her heart yearned for Jason despite acting all tough with her dad's company crisis.

It was her first birthday filled with so much love and people around her but yet the one who had given her all that, was not by her side. She stood by the fences watching the beautiful lighted Landsfield town and wished the gentle breeze blew by could ease all of her troubles away as she imagined herself waltzing with Jason again on the hilltop.

With everyone by her side wanting to keep her safe and protected, none of them knew Jeremy and Nancy had made an agreement behind their back. Nancy's hired investigator had been tailing Ivy's car that night to the top of the hill. None of them expected the least harmful person to be the one who initiated Jeremy's first step to get closer to Ivy.

Even Jin who had been in intense discussions with Uncle James every time they met had not paid close attention to Jeremy's movement lately. The three brothers had gone to meet with James at Cassandra's disguised boutique leaving Peter by himself after dinner again that night.

After receiving updates from the brothers about Ivy's mediocre birthday dinner and her trip to the hilltop, Nick became even more restless. His bad gut feeling the entire night made him couldn't concentrate on finishing up some work on his last night in Manes for the week. Nick's birthday message to Ivy was acknowledged with a simple thank you earlier that day. He knew Ivy wasn't herself today as she would usually continue with small talk with him throughout the day but today she was reticent. He decided he should pay a visit to Nancy that night since he was in Manes as he informed Jason who was in Landsfield of Ivy's destination.

Jason had been idling in his hotel room as he nervously waited for news from Nick. When he received the text message, he excitedly drove his way to the hilltop. The memories of teaching Ivy waltz there crossed his mind and was glad that it was the one thing he had never regretted doing.

When Jason arrived at the hilltop, Ivy who was drowning in her imagination, turnaround at the sound of a roaring car's engine to find herself in disbelief. She wondered if she had fallen into her paracosm as she pinched herself and felt the piercing pain. She rubbed her eyes many times watching Jason run over to pull her in a hug.

Only when she felt the warmth of his hug, did she realise it was really Jason in front of her. Jason sighed in relief at being able to hug her again as they both stood in silence momentarily, letting go of every inch of sadness and longing. There was so much they both wanted to say to each other but with just one hug, they both understood the messages they both had longed to tell each other.

"Happy birthday..." Jason mumbled as he let go of his embrace to have a good look at her. Her chin was sharper than before and her body was getting slimmer but toner with all the martial training from Ray as he wiped away her tears.

"You shouldn't be here. How did you find me?" Ivy asked furiously in disguise of being worried.

"I know your deal with Nancy and why you're staying away from me. Listen, sweetie, it's not your call this time. Jeremy can get ruthless although he has no brain. Let me be the one to protect you this time. I will ensure I fix the problem your dad is facing but I need to keep you by my side. Only then will I be at peace to fight with my brother. He has gotten used to want to have everything I owned and with this, it meant you will be in danger too..." Ivy couldn't control her tears from falling freely on their own as Jason clarify. Jason struggled to wipe her overflowing tears away.