Chapter fifty-six

Start from the beginning

"God Xander, what are you doing?!" I say, rushing over and putting out the fire. He looks at me while scratching the back of his neck, "Um. Pancakes?"
I look at the pan and see the burnt think that's supposed to be my breakfast, then look at him again as my eyes show how little impressed, I am by his efforts to make breakfast.

This time I don't even bother to answer, I just shake my head and go back to my room to finish sleeping.

----------------------------- // ---------------------------

Another week passes, I ignore Xander and pretend like he isn't there no matter how hard it gets. He doesn't bother me much either, except when it comes to food. He's mostly in his own apartment anyways, only at mine when I'm back from work.

I don't understand what he's getting out of this, we don't talk. And when we do, it's rarely anything nice from my side. I've made it clear that I won't forgive him, yet he seems determined to stay there and I guess I'll just give it some time until he gets bored enough and leaves.

This time when I'm walking back from work, I don't feel his presence around. Entering the apartment I understand why quickly, as the smell of pizza hits me. I take off my shoes and put my coat away, making my way to the kitchen only to be met by Xander's back as he stands and checks on the pizza before taking it out. Homemade pizza.

He didn't order in, instead he made food himself. I thought I'd never see the day Xander Romero decided to enter the kitchen and use it, not even failing this time. He's also cleaned the kitchen and done the dishes while I was gone. If I was to judge him on this alone, I'd almost say he was husband material.

"You're home right on time, perfecto." He says, heading to the table and placing the pizza in the middle. I look at the table, he's already set up everything including wine. Almost as if we were married, and he was greeting his wife with dinner after a long day at work. I haven't eaten with him at all, I usually grab the food and go to my room right away. Yet now, as he's set a mood, I feel obligated to sit.

"Yeah, perfecto." I mutter, making my way to the table and sitting down without saying another word to him. He doesn't expect me to say anything either, we sit and eat in silence. He looks at me, I don't dare to look at him. Unsure if one look will make me want to tear down the wall between us.

"This is actually.. good" I say, taking another bite of the pizza that isn't even a little burnt.
"You seem surprised, angel." I cringe, ignoring him calling me that name. I want to tell him to stop, and never call me that again yet I can't find the energy to argue with him right now. "Considering the fact that you almost burnt down the house when you attempted pancakes. Yes, I am surprised." I answer dryly.

A chuckle escapes his lips, "I guess you're right. I've been taking cooking classes."
I look up right away, looking at him as if he just said something completely and utterly weird. Which he did. Xander taking cooking classes? Is my hearing bad or something? "Stop looking at me like that, what do you think I keep myself busy with when you're at the clinic?"

I raise a brow, "um I don't know. Throwing stones at birds? Making toddlers cry? Robbing old people?" A smile tugs on my lips as I see him roll his eyes. "You've said it yourself, you don't want or need to make food because you have people for that." I add.
"I do," He nods taking another bite, "but you don't and since it clear you're too busy to be making food, I decided that I should so you don't starve to death."

My smile falters, as a wave of self-consciousness hits me. He's commented on my weight multiple times, and I can't help the feeling of being insecure. I have lost a lot of weight, I can't control it though and there's not much that can help. Did he find me less attractive? Does he wish I looked different?