Chapter 68: The Tower Is Destroyed

Start from the beginning

I stopped, and Martha did also. Her mouth opened in shock, and tears welled in her eyes. She brought her hands to her mouth, staring at the horrible sight of Wags burning home. Then the shocked expression turned into the most angry one I'd ever seen her wear. She stomped forward, her hair curling around her like flames as the smoke filled wind blew past her. She looked terrifying.

I followed behind, still staring at Wags destroyed home. Was he still in there? Could he get out?
But I watched what Martha was gonna do first before I did anything.

She walked up to Steve, and smacked him in the back. He jumped up for a moment and spun around, his eyes widening at the sight of Martha.

"Martha dear, I didn't-"

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!" She cut him off and screamed in his scared face.

"He was tryin to mess with ye, and yer mine! I was just teaching him a lesson!" He threw his hands up in defense.

Martha's expression grew angrier at his sentence, and she grabbed the front of his beige shirt and lifted him high off the ground. She was by far the strongest woman I'd ever seen, aside from capsize, who had once shown me she could lift me on her shoulders and still run like a cheetah.

She clenched her teeth and her jaw tightened as she stared into Steve's frightened eyes.
"I am nobody's woman! I am my own person! It is bad enough that you don't respect me or support me, BUT NOW YOU TRY TO KILL MY WAGGLES BECAUSE HE LIKES ME?!" She threw him to the ground, and he fell with an 'oof'.

"Yer my wife! And he was tryin to take ye away from me! What did ye expect me to do?!" He stood and brushed himself off, still slightly cowering at Martha as he did so.

"Oh I don't know, maybe try to talk it out like a normal man! I thought maybe when you found out, that you would be normal and try to respect me and my mistakes, but no! You try and kill Waggles, and you destroy his home! Where is he?! If you've hurt him, then this is over Stevie! If I find one bruise on him, I will never speak to you or of you again!"

She stabbed her finger into his chest and glared at him, making Steve cower a bit. But he still continued to argue.

"Why do ye care so much about em?! Hes a lil wimp, and a coward! Ye like strong men, like me! What's so great about this little boy, eh?!" He tried to fight back.

"He respects me! He tells me he loves me! He understands what I feel, and what I want to do! You've never said I love you, you never respect me, and you never understand! It was always lust! It was always lust...you only wanted me for my body..." Her voice cracked in the middle of her rant, and she began to cry. Tears stained her cheeks, and Steve seemed to relax at the sight. But I could tell, he knew that the statement was true.

"Martha dear...that ain't true, yer my lady." He tried to put a hand on her shoulder, but she flinched away and continued to cry.

"It is true. That honeymoon made me realize...it was not love I felt. It was lust. It is the same for you. When I kissed Waggles...I felt love. Our relations aren't love Stevie..." She wiped her eyes with her sweater sleeve.

"Martha? Why are you crying, love?" A voice from behind us asked.

We all turned to see Wag, his hood burnt off and was now just a scrap hanging from his cloak. His hair was singed on the sides and it was sticking out in all places. His grey face had welts on them, his nose bleeding a weird liquid in what I assumed was his blood. It was silvery and blue, something I'd never seen before. His rust red eyes were focused on the crying Martha. He looked pretty roughed up. I could tell Steve had punched him a few times.

"Oh Waggles! You're hurt!" Martha sobbed, looking at the burnt and beat up Wag.

"No, I am fine. It is you that is hurt. What is the matter my dearest?" He was still being Romeo after getting his ass kicked, and even with Steve standing right in front of him.

"I thought I got rid a you boy, ye stay away from her, she's mine." Steve's voice warned.

"She is no one's. She is herself. And she has the right to choose who she wishes to be with. And if it is you, then I shall accept that and move on with my life, respecting her wishes. If it is me, then you should be a man and respect her wishes. She is a free woman, able to choose what she wants. I do not care, as long as she is happy. That is all I care about." Wag was standing up for himself. That's a first.

We stood in silence for a moment, when Steve muttered a fine.

"Then choose what you wish, Martha. It is up to you." Wag held his hands behind his back and awaited her answer. Steve crossed his arms and made sure to show his wedding band to her.

Martha looked between the two men, her eyes looking over both.
She walked to Steve and kissed him. Wag bowed his head in defeat, his eyes closing in the process.

Martha pulled away from Steve's lips. "Stevie, I will never forget what we had. It was beautiful and amazing, and I thought it was what I wanted my entire life. But I was wrong. I want someone who loves me for more than my lady parts. I want some one who will tell me he loves me, and actually mean it. I am sorry Steve, but I cannot be your wife any longer."

She pulled away from his grasp and walked to Wag. Her arms wrapped around his waist, and she leaned her head on his chest. Wag hesitantly wrapped a hand around her, sighing as he felt her warmth. He had wanted this so badly.

Martha grabbed his swollen face and kissed his dark grey lips, her hands entwined in his hair. She pulled away from the kiss and looked into his blood red eyes.

"I love you James. I cannot live without you." She rested her head back on his chest.

Wag ran a hand down her lavender hair. "Neither can I, my love."

I looked from the happy couple, to Steve. Who was acting oddly calm.

"Then I guess I'd better get home. I'll rebuild yer house tomorrow, wizard. Take care of her, I'll miss her." He tipped his farmer hat, and walked off towards cherry ridge with head down and his hands in his overall pockets.
Poor Steve.

"Uh...did we miss something?" I heard a voice behind me ask.
Nade and Tom stood behind me, Nade pushing Tom to me while he was still in his wheelchair.

"Martha called off her marriage with Steve, and now she's with Wag. That's pretty much it. Oh, and Steve destroyed his house."

"That's interesting...well I better go. I got stuff I gotta do. I'll see you guys later." Nade waved and walked off back to his place, leaving the very confused Tom to me.

"So...she just left him? Is he okay?" He gave me a confused look as he wheeled himself over to me.

"He's fine, he said he was okay...do I ever tell you how much I love you?" I walked to him sat beside his chair in the grass. I looked at the happy couple, who were still wrapped up in eachothers arms and whispering things to one another.

"You do, but not enough." He grinned at me. I stood for a moment and bent down to kiss him, my lips lingering for awhile.

"I love you, so much." I whispered to him as I let my lips disconnect his for a moment.

"I love you too, Sparklez."

Steve losing Martha made me realize a lot of things.

Even though you're married, you can still lose the love of your life in an instant.
~~~~~~~~~~