Chapter 65: The Beast has Awoken

The darkness surrounded me once again, pulling me away from the warmth and light.
I didn't want to leave that place. I didn't want to leave Tom and Rosie.

My eyes snapped open, and I saw a new scene.

I was facing a TV. I'd only ever seen a TV once in Mianite, when Tom had found a broken one that had washed up on the shore. He said he could have fixed it, but he never got around to it.
But this one wasn't broken, it was perfectly fine. Cartoons danced across the screen as the pictures flickered and twirled.

Where was I?

I tried to get up and move, but found that there was something laying on my lap.
I looked down at the weight, and saw a bundle of pink covers and black curls.
Rosie's small hand was clutched in mine, and her head was laying gently on my lap. Her eyes were closed and a peaceful expression showed on her small face. She was smiling, her dimples showing.

I heard snoring, but it was way too deep to be hers.
I looked to my left and felt hair tickle my neck. Blue hair to be exact.
Toms head was snuggled into my neck, his eyes shut and his mouth slightly open, drool dripping down his chin. I laughed, but then put a hand to my mouth. I didn't want to wake them.

The room was dark, except for the light coming from the Tv. I felt Rosie stir in my lap, and her beautiful brown and blue eyes looked to me.

I didn't really know what to say to her. She was so beautiful, my small daughter.

She smiled and her pretty sparkly teeth showed. "Hi Poppy," she giggled.

"H-hi." God was I awkward.

She looked to Tom and giggled again. "He's sleepy, isn't he?"

"Yeah, a tired idiot."

She laughed at my joke, and I instantly felt the awkwardness vanish. It was like her laughter was a special medication for me.

She moved again, but sat up this time. Her sleepy eyes focused on the Tv, as she watched the cartoons dance on the screen.
Her laughter broke out again at something funny on the cartoon, but I wasn't watching it. I was just watching her.

How was she born? Why does she look so much like Tom and I? It's not possible for us to have kids...so how was she here?

"Poppy look! It's Franky!" She pointed at the screen, where a purple pig was standing next to a farmer.
She knew who Franklin the pig was? Did she know who everyone was?
I decided to try something else.

"Sure is. And look, there's farmer Steve." I pointed at the farmer standing next to the purple pig.

Happiness spread across her face. "Farmer Steve has a straw hat though! That farmer doesn't have a hat," she beamed back at me as she continued to watch the farm animal show.

She was smart. She didn't look like she was a day over six though.

"Steve also doesn't have a ginger beard," a tired voice chimed in.

"Daddy! You're awake!" Rosie crawled over my legs and hugged Tom around the waist. He chuckled and kissed her forehead.
The sight made me want to melt in my spot.

Darkness consumed me again. The small light of the TV disappeared, and a new one filled in my sight.

Ianites purple eyes we're staring into mine. But she was...different.

"I know how long you've wanted this...and I know you could not find one to adopt...so I created a child. She possesses your genetics and Thomas's, and she's exactly like a human child. The only difference being...she has some inhuman abilities. Don't be afraid if anything out of the ordinary happens when she is growing, I assure you it is nothing to be worried about. Just inform me if anything major happens and I will try my hardest to control it. I owe you this for all you have done for me." She held up her arms, and inside them laid a baby.