68

A soft breeze ruffled my hair, as I stared at Emma's body. Every muscle in my body seemed to be tensed after going through a traumatic experience. I switched my attention to Yuka.

Her hands trembled, seeing blood. Kaori's blood. She grabbed her head, shaking it and chanting something under her breath.

Hanma was peacefully resting on the cold ground. I smiled, crouching down again.

"Shuji, the floor is freezing. Get up, we need to drive Emma to the hospital."

I leaned my ears to his nose: he wasn't breathing. I bit my lower lip, as my face twisted in a pathetic smile. I caressed his forehead, trying to it focus on it being extremely frigid.

Hot salty droplets of tears landed on his cheeks, mixing with blood.

This time Hanma didn't smell like cigarettes, luxurious perfume and books.

There was no signature scent of him. It all vanished with his life.

And though I never really loved him as much as I loved Mikey, my heart still had a special place for him. Hanma was the first one to ever give me some sort of attention, he didn't mind me using him. What I liked about him the most was the fact, that he would let anyone use him, if it was going to amuse every bit of his ego.

He lived for amusements, and it seemed like he sought only this factor for living.

But why were his eyes full of regret?

Maybe he died happy, hearing my last words to him, but still,

I knew he wasn't ready to die just yet.

His heart was made of impenetrable ice, but somehow I caused it to melt.

I didn't even know what kind of relationship he had with Wakasa, since they were the ones to save us from the Bonten trio. But what I knew for sure, was that Imaushi would actually care about it.

I was dazed: how long does it take a person to accept one's death? I didn't know the answer, not like it should have been my main concern at the moment.

Maybe I finally came back to senses, that's why I decided to eventually drive poor unconscious Emma to the hospital. Seeing her condition, I felt a lump in my throat start to form again.

I brushed her sandy long hair, which was covering her eyes. She went through a lot of shit, and I was the reason behind them. But losing a child was definitely the last straw.

I unhurriedly picked her up and placed on my back. My vision was still blurry due to me beating the shit out of myself earlier. I heard footsteps behind me, realizing it was Yuka, and decided to speed up.

"Come back, Y/n! You will regret it!" The woman shouted, tripping on Hanma's dead body. I tightened the grip on Emma's legs and ran to my car, that was parked nearby.

Placing her in the backseat, I immediately hit the gas, heading to the hospital, from which I have come.

Paramedics stressed out, seeing her condition. They offered to check mine as well, but I refused, mentally thinking of it as my punishment for all I have done the Sano family.

I turned around the corner and saw Mikey talking to some doctors. I squeezed my eyes and gasped, seeing bandages all over his stomach. Did he get an operation?

He froze, hearing new noises, and before he would spot me, I hid behind the wall. When I figured, that he wouldn't follow me, I quickly ran away to my car, hurriedly starting it.

"He can't see me here, no..," I crazily shook my head, as if already losing my mind, "I can't see him either... This traitor..."

...