Chapter 36

That night Jacob didn't return. Not exactly the slumber party i was waiting for. Theo was sharing the bed with me for most of the night until he climbed out the window to leave, taking my bag of notes with him. The truck roared to life as he drove off probably to meet his sister somewhere and as he left i ran over the plot that i was working on. A happy ending with wedding bells ringing. 

Across from the female lead a shapeless male holding a newborn. The male with no features slowly got replaced with a man with translucent hair and bluest eyes...

When I woke up the next morning the dream was gone as was joy that came with it. I sat up in the bed alone. Theo hadn't returned and i was expecting nothing more to come out of his lips. I took a moment to fully absorb the morning glow entering the window. I think I sincerely liked the weather here. Silver linings i tell myself. If I'm forced to accept becoming a vampire then i have to look at the silver linings. 

I walked out to the living room breakfast already on the table. Jake and Billy greeting me and i joined them. I didn't want business to be the first thing to come between us so i enjoyed this very normal moment. With more than one person at the table and joyful banter being aimed at me as i tried to eat.

"So," Jake said swallowing down another mouthful of waffles, "we're having a bonfire party. Emily will be there, and you could meet Kim... and i know Quil wants to see you, too. He's pretty peeved that you found out before he did."

I picked at my waffles, "is it just a last minute invitation to something that was already planned or is this about what I spoke to you about?"

He grunted and rubbed the back of his head, "The former. We just feel like you should know more about us. Will you stay for it?"

Billy cleared his throat, "I'll call Charlie for you."

For the rest of the morning Jacob and I spent time in the garage where the motorcycles were stored. He was talking about the good old days where he and Bella would spend hours in that very room fixing up the bikes. None of which i remembered of course. He started talking about Sam and Leah and the question came up.

"I didn't think much about it before because i was just so... happy to see you but i never told you about imprinting... how did you know?"

I scoffed, "I'm good at my movie monsters knowledge didn't you know?"

He grinned but i felt like i messed up somewhere. I'll bring it up to him. It would be fair to him if i told him something. Right? Or would that make things more complicated? Hurt him more? 

"So you think you know werewolves huh." He teased. "Then i guess you'll say you'll learn nothing new during this bonfire."

"Not true," i tossed a rag at him, "I'll get to learn the way your pack parties when their not killing murderous vampires." 

He laughed. I liked how light and carefree his laughter is. I can't help myself to think of my brother. Bigger in width and not as tall but the skin tone was the same and his hair was long and curly. Always the laughter came from somewhere deep in his gut. Heartfelt and powerful.

"So," i laughed, "when do you think you'll imprint?" I asked to shake away the image of my brother from Jacobs face. Jacob stopped laughing. The image going away. 

"Never."

"How would you know that you'll never imprint?"

He frowned, "because I'll have to see her— the one that's supposedly meant for you."

"Sounds to me like you need to pack up your things and start traveling. Millions of girls out there. One of them is bound to be, don't you think?"

"Are you asking because you seriously don't know?" He came a little closer. I slowly moved around the bike to keep the distance between us. This conversation i could remember. "I'll never see anyone else, Bella. I only see you. Even when I close my eyes and try to see something else. Ask Quil or Embry. It drives them all crazy."