Hippogriff

Animal Class: Bird

Diet: Carnivorous

Hippogriffs are hybrid creatures that are the result of a Horse and a Griffin breeding.

Since they are such an odd combination, ( a Griffin is more likely to eat a Horse than breed with it) Hippogriffs are extremely rare with only 10 wild ones being seen in the last few decades.

Unlike other hybrid Animals ( such as Ligers and Mules), Hippogriffs are capable of reproducing, but they only lay one egg at a time.

Since Hippogriffs are Birds that hatch from eggs, their mother has to be a Griffin because a female horse would be incapable of laying eggs. ( This contradicts ancient legends that say Hippogriffs are the offspring of Mares)

Once you have earned the trust of a Hippogriff, they are extremely loyal creatures that will defend their friends to the death. Some have even been observed taking on creatures as big as Dragons in order to defend their friends.

Unlike their Griffin parents, Hippogriffs have no problem flying in cold weather and this is primarily because of the warm blooded Horse DNA that they have inside them.

Their front talons are sharp enough to cut through thick metal and their back hooves are strong enough to shatter stone.

While it may not seem like it at first glance, Hippogriffs are incredible swimmers that can hold their breath for up to ten minutes at a time. They are very successful when it comes to hunting Fish underwater and many have been observed ambushing prey that comes near the edge of the water to drink and they have even been seen jumping out of the water to grab low flying Birds.

While it is very possible for then to live in multiple parts of the world, the most recent sightings of them have occurred in Northern Europe and a few parts of Africa.

Extra Fun Fact: J.K. Rowling based Buckbeak on a wild Hippogriff that she befriended and met with multiple times. However, after Rowling's true colors were revealed, the Hippogriff stopped coming to see her and has not been seen since. ( When Rowling when back to the place that she first met this Hippogriff in, she was chased off by a pack of angry Cù-Sìth)