Ahuitzotl

Animal Class: Mammal

Diet: Carnivorous

These creatures evolved from small populations of Otters that started to use their tails to grab things. As the generations went on, their tails became prehensile and eventually a hand grew out of the end of their tails.

The hand at the end of their tails is stronger than it looks and many larger Ahuitzotls have been observed shattering rocks with them. 

Much like the Platypus, Ahuitzotls were believed to be a hoax when their dead bodies were brought into laboratories. They were only proven to be real when live specimens were caught on camera.

Many live in large groups that are lead by a mated alpha pair.( all group members are allowed to breed) These groups are sometimes over 30 strong.

Naturally live in Mexico and a few parts of Central America like Belize and Guatemala, but historical reports show that they once lived as far north as Canada and as far south as Brazil.

Ahuitzotls are extremely intelligent and many have been seen using rocks to break open Oyster shells and using rocks or sharpened sticks as weapons.( They hold on to them using the hand at the end of their tail)

They live in large burrows by the river and because these burrows flood easily, they have multiple of them scattered throughout their territory.

During the time of the Aztecs, these creatures were greatly feared and many People refused to go near rivers and other bodies of water that were known Ahuitzotl hangouts.

They have around 5 to 8 pups at a time, but many of this pups don't survive to adulthood because cannibalism is very common in younger Ahuitzotls.

Since they inhabit many of the same areas, Ahuitzotls have to compete with predators like Chupacabras, Coyotes, Black Bears, Jaguars, Cougars, Ocelots, and American Crocodiles for food and despite their smaller size, they usually have the numbers advantage and can easily drive competitors away.

Like other types of otter, their lifespan is around 15 to 20 years.

They prey on fish and other aquatic creatures. However, many of them have been known to ambush larger Animals that come to the edge of the water for a drink.

Extra Fun Fact: In recent years, many Ahuitzotls have been observed using their tails like whips and therefore, it is believed that in a few thousand years, all Ahuitzotls will be capable of doing it.