Harpy

Animal Class: Bird

Animal Class: Bird

Diet: Carnivorous

Harpies are perfect examples of evolutionary mimicry, having evolved to look similar to Humans in order to intimidate other Animals.

Despite appearing very similar to Humans, Harpies are more Animal like than Human like.

They are incapable of speech and make noises like screeching and tweeting.

They live in large colonies in the mountains, but tend to fly out into more open areas to hunt.

They normally hunt alone, but have been known to hunt in groups as large as 10.

Male Harpies tend to stay home while the females hunt and live off of scraps that the females bring to them.

Their hunting method is to chase their prey in a big circle and repeatedly slash at it with the talons on their feet until the prey either bleeds out or collapses from exhaustion.

They only lay one egg at a time and these eggs are placed with other eggs that are laid around the same time. They are fiercely guarded by the whole colony.

It used to be very common for entire groups of People to go missing in Harpy territory, but with the invention of deadlier weapons, these disappearances have become less common.

Harpies live throughout Europe, Africa, parts of Asia, and in more recent years, have migrated into isolated parts of North America.

Male Harpies are such a rare sight amongst Humans that Harpies were once thought to be an all female species. Occasionally, a male Harpy will be exiled from it's colony and those are the male Harpies that are seen by people.

The exiled male Harpies usually don't last long and only 1 in 300 of them will survive long enough to be accepted by another colony.

The wings of a Harpy aren't as fragile as they appear and they are capable of using them as makeshift shields.

Extra Fun Fact: Sightings of Harpies in the jungles of South America were actually sightings of Harpy Eagles while stories of Harpies told in New Zealand were actually just exaggerated stories of Haast's Eagles that were spread through the generations.