Devil Monkey

Animal Class: Mammal

Diet: Omnivorous

A close cousin to Sasquatches, Devil Monkeys are much more smaller and more aggressive than their larger brethren.

Unlike their Sasquatch kin, Devil Monkeys can not handle very cold temperatures and thus only live in the Southeastern United States with small populations having moved into the Southwestern United States and into the Northern parts of Mexico.

Some Devil Monkeys live in troops that can number in the high 30s and while they scavenge for plants together, they prefer to hunt alone.

Their preferred food appears to be small creatures like Rabbits, Squirrels, Snakes, Lizards, Fish, and Birds. However, many have been known to go after young Deer, Elk, and Cattle.

They are extremely territorial and will chase off anything that gets too close to their nests. Once the intruder is far enough away, the Devil Monkey will give up the chase and return to its nest, but if it does manage to catch the intruder, it will not hesitate to rip it apart.

They make their nests in the branches of large trees and the nests resemble the ones that are built by large Birds of Prey such as Bald Eagles with one big difference: Devil Monkeys make " roofs" out of things like wood and plant material to shield themselves from the elements.

They are considered a pesky nuisance in many parts of the areas that they inhabit because they do things like raid Chicken coops, break into garbage bins, eat pets, harass Humans and other creatures, and sneak into houses to find food.

While the Devil Monkeys of today are aggressive, historical records show that their ancestors were way more aggressive. There are many tales of early frontiersmen being attacked, killed, and sometimes even eaten by angry Devil Monkeys.  It is widely believed that this behavior is how they got their name.

Some of the Devil Monkeys that live in the swamps of the Southeastern United States have formed a symbiotic relationship with Rougarous. The Devil Monkey will scout for prey by climbing high into trees while the Rougarou will chase and kill the prey. If successful, they both get their fair share of the meal.

Devil Monkeys mate for life and females usually give birth to one baby at a time.

They appear to be very fearful of their Sasquatch cousins and tend to avoid areas that they know have Sasquatches in them. 

Some scientists believe that they are the evolved descendants of small groups of White-Faced Capuchin Monkeys that migrated north and adapted to the very different ecosystem.

Extra Fun Fact: Devil Monkeys were the inspiration for the Flying Monkeys that the Wicked Witch of the West uses in " The Wizard of Oz."