Phoenix

Animal Class: Bird

Diet: Omnivorous

Like the stories say, when a Phoenix is near death ( old age, sickness, starvation, dehydration , injury, mortal wound, Etc.) it will burst into flames and be reborn from the ashes. When it is reborn, it is the exact same creature as it has the same DNA, memories, personality traits, likes and dislikes, and habits as it did before it burst into flames. ( It takes them a few months to grow make to their original size and many times they end up becoming a little bigger than they were before) 

When a Phoenix cries on a wounded or sick person, that person will be instantly healed ( as stated in the previous chapter, Phoenix tears are one of the cures for Basilisk venom), but, like with touching a Unicorn's healing horn, a Phoenix will only cry on someone that it truly trusts.

They do not need to breed because of their ability to pretty much be immortal ( it is believed that they breeded when they first evolved, but after their population got high enough, they stopped), but they have been known to life long romantic partnerships with another individual.( same-sex couples are extremely common in Phoenix society)  It is believed that over the long period of time that they have existed, Phoenixes have become sterile as no one has ever seen a Phoenix egg even though Phoenixes have been seen mating. 

For defense, Phoenixes use their very sharp talons, but they can breath fire, set different parts of their body ablaze and swing that body part around ( usually a talon or a wing), or shoot off feathers that are on fire.

Naturally live on every continent. They can live in Antarctica and other very cold places because their fire abilities prevent them from freezing.

When they do eat meat it is something small like a rat, rabbit, or fish, but they will go out of their way to kill a young Basilisk ( Phoenixes are immune to the death stare and venom of a Basilisk and many have been observed forming small attack flocks with other Phoenixes  to take down fully grown Basilisks) 

A common legend for how Phoenixes gained their fire powers says this: One day a dying bird decided to see how high it could fly before it died and it ended up flying so close to the sun that it absorbed a lot of solar energy. The solar energy ended up healing the bird and giving it fiery powers. It later mated and those abilities ended up getting passed on to its offspring.   

Extra Fun Fact: For many years, people have trying to get it to where the Olympic flame is lit by Phoenix fire. This idea has been debated and many Olympic officials are okay with it, but nothing has been done yet.