Bunyip

Animal Class: Amphibian

Diet: Carnivorous

Bunyips have been around since the Devonian Period and not much about them has changed since then.

The fossil record shows that they used to live in multiple places across the globe, but they can now only be found in Australia.

Bunyips spend about 3 years in a tadpole stage.

They are ambush predators that hide in the water and wait for unsuspecting prey to come down to the water to drink before striking.

They will occasionally hunt on land, but 98% of their land hunts end in failure due to how unadapted they are for it.

Their preferred meal appears to be Kangaroo or Dingo.

Despite the fact that they prey on them, Bunyips are easy prey for packs of Dingos if they encounter them while they are away from the water

Their eggs look like Frog eggs, but are around 5 times the size of Frog eggs.

They come in a variety of colors ranging from brown to black to green.

Bunyips and Crocodiles try their best to avoid each other. If you see a Bunyip in a body of water, there's a huge change that there are no Crocodiles in or around that body of water and vice versa.

The lifespan of a Bunyip spans from 30 to 45 years.

They are capable of both reproducing asexually and hibernating during times of hardship.

The Bunyip fossils that come from the Triassic, Jurassic, and Cretaceous periods appear to have venom glands meaning that Bunyips could have temporarily evolved a venomous bite to deal with Dinosaurs. 

They are closely related to the Tetrapods that were the first vertebrates to walk on land such as Acanthostega.

Extra Fun Fact: The myth that they lay their eggs in Platypus nests most likely arise from the fact that they like to raid Platypus nests in order in feed on the eggs in them.