Amphisbaena

Animal Class: Reptile

Diet: Carnivorous

A common question that gets asked is how Amphisbaena urinate and defecate. They do it out of a small hole near the center if their body and like other species of Snake, this hole is also used for mating and laying eggs.

One head is venomous and the other is non-venomous. Which head is the venomous one varies from Amphisbaena to Amphisbaena.

Because they share a lung, one head can stay below water for as long as it wants as long as the other head is above the surface.

Like it was implied in the last fact, Amphisbaena are great swimmers and can even hunt in the water. However, 90% of their hunting is done on land.

Amphisbaena lay up to 200 eggs at a time and this is because the young struggle to get use to having two heads on the same body which leads to conflicts between them that can result in death.

They have two separate brains resulting in both heads being two different snakes. This means that even as adults, the two heads often come into conflict with each other, but the older they get the less common these conflicts become.

Amphisbaena can be found living throughout Africa from Algeria to South Africa. There are even rumors that they had migrated into the Middle East and a few other parts of Asia.

While they are venomous, not many Humans have died as a result of Amphisbaena bites. This is due to the fact that their venom is nowhere near as strong as the venom of extremely dangerous snakes like Black Mambas and Inland Taipans.

While they have separate brains, they share internal organs, so both of them will be affected if something happens to one of their organs.

Extra Fun Fact: Studies are being done with Amphisbaena DNA that could end up benefit the treatments of Conjoined Twins.