Basilisk

Animal Class: Reptile

Diet: Carnivorous

It is true that almost anything that looks into the eyes of a Basilisk will instantly die, but it has to be direct eye contact. It is a myth that looking into its eye indirectly ( like a reflection, through a camera lens, through binoculars, through glass, and any other ways of indirect eye contact) will make anything bad happen to you. ( For the instant death to happen there was to be nothing between the eyes of the Basilisk and the eyes of its victim)

Basilisk venom is one of the most deadly types of venom on the planet and an anti venom can not be made for it. The only way to be cured of the effects of the venom is by using the special powers of other creatures.( Touch a Unicorn horn, use Fairy, Wizard, Witch, or Elf magic, have a Phoenix cry on the bite wound , and other things like that) Most people that are bitten by a Basilisk die in less than an hour with many dying in under 10 minutes.

During mating season, male Basilisk grow red plumage on the back of their heads. The more plumage they have and the brighter the shade of red is, the more attractive they are to a female

A female Basilisk will lay between 3 to 15 eggs at once and will curl around them until a few days before they hatch and then she leaves them to fend for themselves.

Cannibalism is very common in young Basilisks that have not mastered the art of hunting and many of them end up eating their brothers and sisters when they are still in the nest. 

Almost hunted to extinction because of their deadly stares, large populations of them live in Australia and Asia with much smaller populations living in parts of Africa and Europe. Large populations were once found in South and Central America, but they went extinct, mainly because of overhunting. 

They are an invasive species in Europe because of young ones stowing away on trade ships. According to rumors, there is a very aggressive and much larger than normal female that is said to live in a large abandoned castle in Scotland. ( She is believed to be responsible for the disappearances of many people and livestock around that area)

DNA tests show that that are much more closely related to the extinct Titanoboa than they are to any living species of snake.

Their exact lifespan is still clear. ( But, stories of the giant female in Scotland have been told for over 200 years) 

Extra Fun Fact:  It is true that a Basilisk can be harmed by the crowing of a Rooster and the odor of a Weasel, but it is not fatal to them. It just causes them so much pain that it is like torture to them, so many Basilisk hunters bringe Roosters and Weasels with them on their hunts. ( Roosters and Weasels are also some of the very few creatures that are immune to the death stare of a Basilisk.)