Kappa

Animal Class: Reptile

Diet: Omnivorous

The ancestors of Kappas first appeared during the Jurassic Period and actual Kappas evolved at around the same time that Humans first appeared.

Both Male and Female Kappas lay eggs( they both become pregnant after mating) and these eggs are laid deep in muddy holes. It takes them about 7 months to hatch and they are about the size of a baby Sea Turtle at birth.

They live in burrows of mud by the river and these burrows are prone to being flooded during heavy rain, but the Kappas don't seem to mind.

They are very protective of the sections of the river that they call home and will viciously attack intruders. Thousands of Humans have been drowned by Kappas over the years.

Their shell is very durable and some have survived direct hits from grenades because of their shell. Their skin is very hard too and bullets easily bounce off of it, but the skin is not as hard as the shell and it can be pierced if they are hit enough times in the same place or if they are hit in a particularly soft area.

Their claws are sharper and stronger than they appear with many Kappas being able to slice completely through stone with little effort. Multiple Kappas have been seen with claws powerful enough to slice through thick metal and even through the shells of other Kappas.

They naturally live all across Japan and have only been seen in Japan, but several nests of what appear to be Kappa eggs have recently been found in South Korea, Taiwan, and the Philippines and it is still unclear as to how Kappas( being a Freshwater species that can't survive in saltwater) have managed to migrate to these places.

Their large shells may slow them down, but Kappas are master swimmers and can even handle powerful rapids that most other aquatic species would avoid.

They primarily prey on fish, but they  seem to have a deep love/obsession for Cucumbers. They are also the only natural predator of the Japanese Giant Salamander.

When Winter comes, they head into the forest, dig burrows deep in the ground, crawl down into the burrow, cover the entrance, and hibernate until Spring.

Being a species of Turtle, Kappas have a very long life span and the oldest living one on record was an individual that died at 165.

Extra Fun Fact: In ancient times, many soldiers in the Japanese army would track down Kappas, kill them in single combat, and cut off their shells to use as shields.