Cactus Cat

Animal Class: Mammal

Diet: Carnivorous

Naturally live in the Southwestern desert areas of the United States, but in more recent years some have migrated into Mexico and some parts of the Pacific Northwest.

Usually live a solitary life, but the young tend to stay with their mother for about two years and somes pairs have been known to mate for life. 

Can have between 2 to 10 kittens in one litter.

The young tend to have much more spikes on their bodies and the spikes are the sharpest when they are young. The older the Cactus Cat, the duller its spikes are. 

Being a creature that usually lives in desert regions, they are nocturnal and can go a very long time without water. 

Their diet consists mainly of Deer, Desert Bighorn Sheep, Rabbits, Peccaries, and several species of birds. 

In the United States their main competition comes from Cougars and Coyotes while the ones that have migrated into Mexico have to deal with Jaguars and Chupacabras are competition in both countries.

Appear to have a rivalry with Chupacabras as both species compete for similar food sources and have been known to steal food from each other. 

Like several other species of big cat, there have been several Cactus Cats that have been seen with Melanism.( Their normal coloration tends to consist of various shades of green)

Can live for around 15 to 20 years. ( An injured individual that was found on the side of an Arizona highway was estimated to be almost 30 years old. It was nursed back to help and released back into the wild)

Most ghostly cries that people hear in the Southwestern deserts are usually the cries of a Cactus Cats.  

Extra Fun Fact: When people first began to explore the deserts of the Southwest, sightings of Cactus Cats were thought to be people just seeing Cougars or other species of cat after having a little too much to drink.