Christmas Morning

Cie Cie's phone notification is nonstop, her relatives has been greeting her, as well as classmates, friends and supporters.

She was surprised to see her parents both sitting in the dining room. They greeted her and asked if she'd seen their presents.

"Merry Christmas mama and papa, no I haven't seen the presents yet. But thank you."

"Your cousins are asking about our flight back to Manila, let's surprise them, and head straight North, what do you think Hon?" her mother asked.

"Sure Hon, I'll ask Darwin to make the arrangements. Your brothers will surely strangle me if we bother the horses."

"Don't mind them, they overreact sometimes. And besides, papa will not put a runway there if it really bothers them."

"I get your point, but you know your brothers hate my guts. Remember when I was still courting you?"

"Yeah, kulang na lang ipadala ako sa moon, hahaha..."

Despite of her parents shortcomings, they still have that genuine love for each other and for their children as well. They just have some difficulty in expressing it to them. That's why they tend to become overprotective and hard to please.

"Jacinda, your mamita is asking for you, you seem to forget about your bonding time." her mother reminded.

"I'll call her later mama, thank you for reminding me."

"Anyway, the majordoma called, the Gamboa family sent a Christmas hamper, so I sent a small token to their Iloilo residence. That's very sweet of them. I really like that Isabel Gamboa, such a charming lady."

She smiled at the compliment for Tonz's family. She also wondered what small token did her mom sent.

Tonz woke up late, the revelry lasted until 5:00 A.M., good thing they live within stones throw away from each other. Those who cannot drive occupied the guests rooms. Usually, there will be leftovers from the Noche Buena, but today it's different, since some guests arrived unannounced. His mom and aunts are contemplating on what to cook for the day.

But a catering van bearing the logo of a famous restaurant parked infront of their gate.

"Maayong adlaw, sino po si Ms. Isabel Gamboa?"

"Ako po yun, pero dili kami nag-order."

"Ma'am, eto po paki basa na lang."

It is a simple white card with silver engraving of a monogram O&M. It read,

"Dear Isabel Gamboa and family,

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Your new friend,
Elena Ortega-Martinez
& family"

He was shocked, he didn't know that there moms are friends. This is a surprising turn of events. Once the catering was set up, his relatives crowded into his mom, who's busy explaing about the unexpected friendship that she formed with the Ortega-Martinez matriarch.

"Well it happened during their contract signing, we exchanged numbers of course. I understand that my son will be with her daughter most of the time, so there, we sometimes chat or exchange anecdotes about our kids. She's a really nice person, very real. She's like a regular mom who worries about her children. I sent her a Christmas hamper in their Greenhills home. But I was surprised with her generosity."

The cousins took advantage of the situation, while the elders are busy with the chitchat, they opted to start with the buffet. Aly cornered him in the carving station.

"Told you, they're crazy rich."

"They're just being polite, I told Cie Cie yesterday that we'll have guests eh."

"Still, they shouldn't have bothered. Normal people will just send a lechon or two, not the whole catering."

He get his cousin's point. Her family may be lowkey, but they definitely know how to splurge.