Of Fireworks And Promises

She thought for a while. "We have a flight to catch early tomorrow morning. But I really do want to watch them. Richie and the others will have a sleepover, I guess they will leave before the performance."

"Let's watch together. I haven't seen them perform live actually."

"Seryoso? Sabagay, there's always the first time. Sige I'll just ask them to pick me up before midnight."

He felt relieved. He wanted to give her his Christmas gift, but couldn't find the proper timing. He's also flying to Iloilo tomorrow, but in the afternoon.

"So where do you want to hangout?" he inquired.

"I don't know, do you have something in mind?"

"Let's go to church."

"Are you praying for an uno?" she teased.

"I just want to give thanks." he said simply.

They walked from the carpark, to the main building. They were taking in the sights. Freshmen excited for their first Paskuhan, exchanging gifts at the Plaza Mayor. Different chorale groups singing Christmas carols. Alumni pointing out the new structures in the campus. Guests enjoying the festivities.

They arrived at the church, since it is already packed full, they opted to stay at the entrance. They both bowed their heads to pray silently. Tonz looked at Cie Cie, her hands clasped eyes closed. She look so serene. She felt him staring at her. She looked at him inquiringly.

"Are you good na?" she asked.

"Yeah, let's go?"

"Sure."

They walked to BGPop and to the grandstand. Everything was in a celebratory mode. Some students already found their spot in the field.

They sat in one of the gazebos. Both of them looking at the field. He broke the silence.

"Hey, uhm, I'll be in Iloilo for the whole Christmas break. Do you want anything from there?"

"Napoleones please. Kahit isang piraso lang."

"OK, pero perishable yun. Dapat kainin agad."

"Mauubos yun, promise. Last time I tried that was when mama  went there for an event. By the way, I'll be in HK pala for Christmas, before mag New Year yung balik namin."

"VC na lang or message. That is, if you're not busy."

"Baka ikaw ang busy, syempre na-miss mo yung Iloilo saka family and friends mo."

"Sus, wag ka magtatampo, promise, I'll call you constantly."

"Oo na, take care OK?"

"Ikaw din." they both went silent.

Evening came, they went infront of the grandstand. They were enjoying the show when the cool Christmas breeze caused her to shiver. He lend her his jacket.

The last performers were Ben and Ben.

"Maybe the night holds a little hope for us, dear
Maybe we might want to settle down, just be near
Stay together here

We follow the pull of fate, into this moment
We follow the pull of fate, into this moment..."

After their last set, the fireworks display commenced. Her eyes grew wide, she looks exactly like when they rode the ferris wheel. Excited, child-like, so he couldn't contain his feelings anymore, he opened his backpack and gave her a small paperbag.

"What's this?"

"Merry Christmas." was all he could muster.

*Maybe the Night by Ben&Ben
(No copyright infringement)