Her Second Home

Jacinda Beatriz Martinez grew up in the theater, literally. Her earliest memory would include hiding behind red velvet curtains, running on wooden stages, sleeping in dressing rooms and playing with props. Her mother sings "Memory" instead of "Twinkle, twinkle star" before she sleeps. And she reads play scripts instead of fairy tales.

It was a no surprise that she fell inlove with the theater. At the early age of three, she starred in her first production. She was a theater royalty, child prodigy and the next Broadway diva. After starring in "The Little Mermaid" with no less than her Tony awardee mother, her future in Broadway is crystal clear. Or so she thought.

On her thirteenth birthday, she got her first casting call in a Broadway musical. The whole family flew to New York, excited for this new opportunity.

A week prior to her audition, her voice started to sound scratchy, but she dismissed this because she was determined to practice. Come audition time, she wasn't able to deliver because her voice was now nearly unaudible. She was diagnosed with vocal nodules, after her parents insisted to take her to a hospital. Unfortunately, another aspiring actress got the part.

She took it badly, and succumbed into depression. She shut off people, even her own family. She was barely eating and sleeping. She became a shadow of her former self. The once active and  passionate actress, can no longer look at a single play bill.

Her parents decided to keep mum about her situation. They don't want other people bothering her. From her exclusive all-girl school, she was transferred to an institution who has a homeschool program. She was advised to undergo therapy sessions. Her parents became more protective when she almost drowned in her tub. Although it wasn't intentional, her parents were alarmed. Her mother opted to semi-retire from acting abroad. She focused on local  productions, as well as taking care of Jacinda and her siblings. Her father, a businessman, limited his business trips abroad, and set up a home office in their Greenhills mansion so that he can monitor his children.