Neville Longbottom- Assurance (c)

Neville didn't tell many people about his life outside of Hogwarts, actually as far as you were aware, you were the only one to know the full story. Everyone knew that he lived with his grandmother, but no one knew why, other than you as you were his best friend.

You couldn't imagine the pain that Neville felt after the previous defence against the dark arts class that involved the unforgiveable curses. Seeing him shake and try to contain his emotions destroyed you but you were far to scared to speak out against your professor who seemed to be far from sane. As soon as the class ended, Neville gathered up his books and tried to flee from the classroom, but you weren't about to let him run off and hide when he clearly needed someone to offer him comfort.

Once he was away from the crowd of students, you grabbed his wrist, stopping him for fleeing. He turned to you with tears in his eyes, so you gestured him off into a quite corridor so that he wouldn't worry about others seeing his real emotions.

"It was very uncalled for him to teach us such things," you said softly. "it isn't part of the curriculum and he knows about your past so I do not see why he would involve you in such a heinous act."

"It's okay," he croaked, his lip quivering.

"It isn't."

You wrapped your arms around him and pulled him into a tight warm embrace. He was tense at first but you quickly felt him begin to shake as he sobbed into your shoulder.

"It's not right for him to show such things to students, especially not ones who have personally had to experience such things," you assured him. "And don't worry, if anyone noticed you acting odd and question it, I will make sure they know where to shove it because you don't need to tell anyone about your parents until you are completely comfortable."

Neville showed you a weak, tearful smile. "Thank you, Y/N. You really don't need to do that."

You shrugged your shoulders. "What else are best friends here for?"

Playfully, you hit his shoulder, continuing to reassure him with your smile. He was one of the bravest people you knew, and you weren't about to let anyone make him feel any other way about himself. You held onto his hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze before leading him back into the busy hallway to act as if the day was fine.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.