Backstory pt. 2

The King bid his friend goodbye and sighed. He missed his wife dearly and seeing Yeosang sick made his heart ache. He didn't want the same thing for his son. It's been 13 years and he was still trying to decipher everything she had told him. He decided to go to their favorite spot but before he could, his servant came up to him.

"Your majesty, the Queen-" The king put his hand up. "Please just leave it on my desk." He didn't feel like worrying about it right now. He already knew the Queen was doing shady things. He just needed proof.

When he reached the forest garden, he made his way towards a little cove. It was just the same. Just as beautiful. There was a little lake surrounded by flowers and one big maple tree. He sat, resting under the shade reminiscing when he and his mate used to meet here. And when they would leave each other letters under the rock or inside the hole of a tree. He smiled.

He quickly came back to reality and thought about all the things he had to do. He knew a war would be coming soon but with a kingdom as small as his, he wasn't too worried. He thought about what Yeosang had discussed with him today but soon decided that it was still too early.

After organizing his thoughts, the only thing left to do was to figure out what to do with the Queen. He sighed once again racking his brain for ideas but all he could think about was how much he missed his wife.

He remembered what she had said before she passed. 'And when the time comes, remember our favorite place.' What did she mean by that? He thought. The King came here almost everyday. Was she trying to tell me something? The King pondered a little more before his eyes widened. No way, he thought.

He jumped to his feet and began searching frantically. He wasn't sure what he was looking for, but he still continued to look. He went deep into the little cave and searched there as well picking up every rock he could find. As soon as he was considering giving up, he saw something at the corner of his eye.

On a huge rock at the end of the cave, were three words. 'For the King.' The King picked up the rock and beneath it lay a small journal. He picked it up and dusted it off. When he opened it, he realized immediately that it was the handwriting of his late wife.

'Today marks the 8th month of my pregnancy and I have just heard of some very horrible news. It seems as though I have been poisoned. The tonics Juyeong have been giving me that I assumed to be great for childbirth were in fact doing the exact opposite. I'm shocked and I don't know what to do. If the King finds out, he will have her executed immediately and what of her child? The doctors have already told me not to expect much ever since I decided to go on with this pregnancy, so if I don't make it, who will take care of my own child. I don't want to have Woo bear the burden of raising children whilst ruling a kingdom. And I wouldn't want them in the hands of a caregiver and risk being neglected by their father. There is nothing I can do.'
The king was furious but he continued reading.

'12 days until I'm due.
I've decided that the only thing I can do is document in here and somehow make sure this reaches the King at the right time, hopefully after my child has presented. If you ever find this Woo, please don't be too sad or angry. Even without the poison, I probably would still have died. I'm sorry if you think of me as weak but this was all I could think of in time. How is my child? Is he healthy just like you? Are you taking good care of him like you promised? Please don't be too upset when you find this. And remember, Juyeong is still the mother of your son."

The King fell to his knees and screamed. He felt useless. He hit his hands against the ground and sobbed. How did he not know? His wife was suffering and he did nothing. He felt like he had disappointed her.

After he calmed down, he read the rest of the entries which mainly consisted of "I love you," and "take good care of our child." He even noticed some letters towards the end that were dedicated to Yeosang.

The more he read the more angry he became. His eyes flickered red and he headed straight for the Queens chambers.

The King was furious as he headed towards the Queens chambers. He ignored everybody on his way determined to get to his destination. Before he could reach there however, Mingyu stopped him claiming he had forgotten something. When he looked into the Kings eyes and noticed they were red, he quickly calmed him down and brought him to his senses. The King finally explained everything to his best friend and showed him the journal.

"Ok this is a serious matter," Mingyu said looking at his friend.
"I know," the king replied.
"No, you don't get it. With this, we literally have proof for not only what the Queen has done, but her people as well. We need to handle this properly. It's getting late though. Let's continue this tomorrow. Don't do anything foolish. Remember what Yeong Ah said," his best friend warned and left, giving no time for the King to retaliate.

The King sighed for the millionth time today. He grabbed the journal and walked towards his chambers thinking about everything that had happened. He wondered if he should give his son the letters now, but quickly decided against it.
He entered his quarters and headed straight for his bed. He needed all the rest he could get for what was to come.

"You again?" Yeosang asked when he saw Mingi outside his study. The boy smiled showing his teeth. "I guess my dad has a lot to say to your dad. They are besties."
"What's besties?" Yeosang asked. Mingi furrowed his eyebrows. "People who are always together and will always be there for each other," he finished, growing more confident as he said it. Yeosang nodded and continued his work.

"You wanna be besties?" Mingi asked.
"Sure," Yeosang replied nonchalantly as his heart fluttered.

Days passed and Mingi made sure to spend time with the prince everyday. Yeosang learned that though Mingi was not royalty, he knew how to read and was in fact very smart. He was surprised because his actions often proved otherwise. The two became closer as they spent more time together. Yeosang enjoyed Mingi's company as he felt less lonely and Mingi was happy to finally be able to have a friend.

A/n: Lmk what you think  >_<
-K.