31

I looked around the room and blinked several times. I was in Bellamy's room. And he wasn't there. I didn't dwell much on the matter of being in a room that wasn't my own, but I needed to find Bellamy. Then I'd go check on Monty and Monroe. And hopefully, when I go to see Lincoln and the other grounders I won't find Octavia.

Climbing out of the bed I see I was still in my clothes from previous consciousness. But I knew it had to be the next day or next two days at least. Who knows, I could have been out for a week and the world could be in the ruins of a war.

I stood cautiously, finding my feet as I took several breaths in before moving. Once I had made it to the door I was as good as new, in a sense. Wide awake yet definitely still nursing a bullet wound.

"Shit." My hand clenched into a fist as I worked the pain out. My nerves skyrocketed as they sent my brain several unkind messages. But just as messages can be unkind, my own can be just as cruel.

With a swift internal middle finger and a hard glare, I opened the door and went in search of Bellamy Blake.

_______•*•*•*•_______

The neighing of horses drew me outside. My eyes first looking for Erebus in his stall and sighing in relief that he was there. Only for the neighing to continue and the slow creaking of metal to echo through the camp.

My eyes shot to the slowly opening gates to see Bellamy and Pike side by side in front of two horsemen. Identical to what Bellamy told me happened when the grounders came to collect Finn. This time, they've come for Pike.

That means Lexa has reestablished that blood must have blood, and now she is signaling me to do what was agreed upon by Indra and I. The thought sent a smirk to my face I quickly hid as I jogged up to the gate.

"Talk." I slowed down as I moved passed the gathering crowd.

"We seek the one you call Pike." The grounder with a metal Mohawk spoke, his English choppy but fluent enough to be clearly understood.

"Why?" Bellamy's voice was quieter than the grounder's but powerful enough to be answered.

"An army has fallen. Blood soaking the earth where he took their lives, one by one." I came to stand on Bellamy's left, passing Pike and Hannah as I paused watching the two grounders.

"Welcome to the war against Skaikru." I nearly rolled my eyes at how brief he was being. Where were the hour long speeches, the moments I wanted to punch him in the face just so he'd shut up. My eyes drifted from the grounder who liked to speak to the one in a full mask.

"Life was taken. We demand life in return." His words fizzed to the background as I tried to figure out who was behind that mask. I had seen that mask before. Attached to someone belt, but who's I couldn't remember.

"My life?" Pike walked up to be even with Bellamy and I. "What are your terms?" I could hear the hidden quiver in his voice, the moment of weakness, he was scared.

"Sir." Bellamy tried to stop him but Pike silenced him.

"Come with us and we walk away." I racked my brain and still couldn't remember.

"Walk away, from what?" Pike asked, his mask of strength back on as he held his ground.

"By order of the Commander, you have been surrounded by an army of the 12 clans. In every direction, warriors wait to kill anyone who attempts to cross the blockade." Bellamy and I glanced at one another through the corner of our eyes. My gaze was meant to say something but his was just mere surprise that I was standing next to him. The slight widening of his eye at my figure alerted me off that.

"To greet them, as we have greeted those we caught outside your walls today." The man threw the brown sack he had been holding down in front of Bellamy. Blooded guards' jackets lay within, the blood almost still fresh. "We left their bodies for the animals."

"That's enough." I caught the anger in Bellamy's glare and took a small step towards him where the side of my foot touched his so he'd know to calm down.

"Let's go." Pike whispered, turning to head back inside the gates.

"They won't leave. I have seen this before." Bellamy whispered. The two in their own little conversation as I made eye contact with the fully masked grounder who held a small scroll in his right hand. Identical to the letter I had received so many days ago.

I saw the man nod towards his hand before making eye contact and dropping it neatly on the grass. Something only him and I saw and knew about. I gave a small dip of my head so he knew I had seen it, and understood what it was as the other grounder began to speak again.

"The men who wore those uniforms took a long time to die."

"Bellamy, fall back." I eyed the male wearingly as he didn't move even after the chancellor ordered.

"If you do not give up your leader, you will all take a long time to die."

"Atlys, Bellamy." We both stood our ground, both for very different reasons.

"Choose the side that's best for your people." The grounder's eyes bore into mine. And I knew that Lexa had ordered them to come specifically to give me this message.

"I do that everyday." I watched Bellamy draw his pistol and kill both grounders within a millisecond. My face frozen as I watched horrified. My breath getting caught in my chest as I saw something I wish I hadn't.

The fully masked grounder had managed to pull his axe and dropped it to the grass, an axe that I knew very well. An axe that had led me into Polis many times. An axe that belonged to Aesakus.

As the horses turned, fleeing from the gunshots with their dead riders on their backs and Bellamy started back into the gates, I walked out to the grass spot which held his axe and the letter from Lexa.

I picked the axe up and discreetly pocketed the letter before turning and flipping the weapon in the air. Plastering a smirk for show as Pike eyed me curiously, clearly dazed at what Bellamy had just done.

"Where to now Chancellor?"