Chapter Eighty-Five

Comenzar desde el principio

"Cabel!" I happily call out, entering the office.
"I keep forgetting that we have such a beautiful angel in the empire." Cabel smiles, walking up to me.
He leans in to kiss me.
A vaguely familiar bitter scent tickles my nose.
I pause, pulling away before our lips touch.
"What's the matter, my flower?" Cabel looks down at me confused.
"Um nothing..." I look at him confused.
"Is it my breath? Does it smell?" Cabel jokes around.
"No! I-It just smelled like blood for a second..." I look around the room trying to identify where the smell came from.
"We just polished my sword, must just be the smell of the polish." Cabel smiles, kissing my forehead.
"I see. Are you ready to leave?" I stare up at him, his calm face with his hair styled neatly.
"Yes, let's go." Cabel holds his hand out to me.
I place my hand on his, noticing Lance mouthing words to Cabel.
I look back at them confused until Cabel notices my stare and smiles.
Lance sighs trying to keep his demeanour. I ignore their awkwardness and follow Cabel's lead.

"His royal highness, Emperor Cabel, escorting Princess Luna of Avris."
The announcer calls out.
The doors open and I stare at the crowds, the citizens of different kingdom's glaring at me, whispering.
I notice Princess Levita scoff, rolling her eyes.
I bite my lip growing fatigued by the words I know I'll hear.

Cabel socializes with his advisors as I stand beside him.
I sip my drink growing wary of the stares and snickering comments.
I sigh, downing my drink.
"Excuse me for a moment." I speak, curtsying to the advisors and Cabel.
Cabel nods, smiling as he watches me leave.
I place the empty glass on a table, leaving the banquet hall.

I wash my hands in the powder room, after patting my face with powder to fix my makeup.

"We meet again, unfortunately."
I look in the mirror to see Princess Levita enter the powder room.
"Being as I just got here and left the banquet hall not too long ago, I'd say you followed me here. What is it that you want to say now?"
I wipe my hands dry, turning back to stare at her.
"Oh, don't be like that. I just want to warn you."
"Warn me? What could you warn me about?"
"Your demeanour, your etiquette. You're slipping, your concubine self is showing. No matter how many jewels or gowns you wear, you'll still be a dirty little concubine."
"A dirty concubine? How could a concubine of his highness be dirty? Are you suggesting his highness is dirty himself?"
"No, but what a shame it'd be if he was to be dirtied. I will say it's a shame your brother didn't just kill you. To think he'd be so vile to want to marry you."
I stare at her, my heart racing.
"A vile brother is more suited to marry an abused concubine like you. What shame you'll bring to this empire! I suggest you learn your place before this becomes public in the empire. The mother of the empire with a shameful past! What a gossiping title that'll be!" Princess Levita exclaims, cackling, "That's all I wanted to warn you about. Be careful with what you do, you'll know what'll happen if you speak up."
Princess Levita leaves the powder room.
I stare at the ground, my heart racing.
"How did she know... Who else knows?" I grit my teeth, leaving the powder room.

I walk down the empty hallway as the music grows louder.

"Chicky, why you so sad?"
I turn around to see Cethin, leaning against a pillar. His usual playful smile on his lips.
"Thank god!" I run up to him, hugging him.
"Hey, what's the matter?" Cethin looks down at my face, baffled by my actions.
"I need your help."
"What is it?"
"Please... Find out who leaked the information about my brother and I having to marry. I doubt any other nobles know, but Princess Levita knows the details and I want to cut off the source that's running their mouth."
Cethin looks down at me surprised. He chuckles lightly.
"What is it?" I ask.
"Nothing, that look in your eyes, it's fitting of a true ruler. I'm on it, I'll get the others involved too. If we find the source, what do you want us to do with them?"
I pause, thinking to myself. I smile, shrugging.
"What you think is necessary."
"Even if it's a noble?"
"Even if it is a noble, you'll stay unidentified. The traces of it coming back to you or me will be impossible if you do your job right."
"Of course we'll do it right. Then, stay out of trouble while I'm gone." Cethin pats my head.
"I will. Take care, don't be seen and return when the job's complete." I smile, walking away.