Chapter Thirty-six

"Did a Nomu get you?"

"Not really."

"Then what?"

With a sigh, he looked outside the window.

I was sat on the stool beside his bed, clenching my fists. It was already turning white, I noticed.

I didn't know what was happening anymore.

"It's my quirk. He's eating me alive."

How was I supposed to react to this?

"Oh..."

"I expected that you'd be more angry at me for not telling you."

"I am. But my grief is eating at me more than my anger."

Then it was silent. So is this what he meant that the world is still gonna know sooner or later? I haven't even noticed anything wrong with him at all. Or was it because I'm not spending time with him enough?

"I'm sorry."

"I know."

It hurts. Knowing that you can't even do anything to prevent it. We're just sitting here, waiting for death to come and grab him. It's painful. My days with him are numbered even before, but, it just got lesser now. The fact that he's leaving me alone and I was just waiting for that time, I hate it.

"Don't go cryin', kiddo. I won't be able to pass peacefully if you go crying."

"Maybe I'll just cry everyday then."

He laughed, resting an already bony hand on my head. "Don't be like that."

Unable to do anything, I couldn't swat his hand away. I'm losing someone again. This time, it's been decided. No one's gonna save him from this. Removing his quirk would be the same as removing his heart. He told me that when we trained for the festival. It'd mean nothing even if we had to remove Lucifer from him.

"I'll be alone, you know?"

"You won't be. As cliche as it sounds, I'll be in your heart."

"Why the hell didn't you tell me, old man..?"

He didn't answer.

"I at least deserved to know, right?"

He was still silent.

My frustration due to these events occuring right after the other further fueled my anger. And I couldn't stop it.

"You ain't dyin', old man! 'Ya hear me?! You ain't dyin' til I become a pro hero, til I get married and til you become a fuckin' grandparent! You ain't dyin' on me!"

I didn't know what came over me so suddenly to yell at him like that. Yet he still smiled. I was frustrated. Frustrated enough to smack his hand away and stomp out of the room.

I was thankful that there were little to no people as I was flying away to home already. It was night and the moon showed me a large smile as if it's ignoring my crumbling presence. How arrogant.

Angry tears ran down my face as I stopped and glared at the sky. "You sure do like teasin' me like this, eh?! So what?! You gon' take away my friends too?! What in the hell did I do wrong to deserve Your punishment?!" With each scream, I poured all my anger. Too much had happened in one year. And it's not even completed yet. I don't even know what to expect the next year.

I bit back a yelp as my horns aggressively protruded out of my forehead, only adding more to my growing headache.

Calm down. You'll interrupt other people. Come on, it'll tire you but it's better than staying in my form.