Chapter Twenty-one

Today's the day.

UA Sports Festival.

"Kiddo."

I turned to look at Papa while tying my shoelace. "Hmm?"

He smiled and crouched down, patting my head.

"I'll be there, watching you." My eyes widened and my heart thumped loudly. I finally had the chance to impress him! "Endeavor will be there too." And the damned old bastard too! Man, I'll be so awesome you'll be speechless.

He grinned at me and ruffled my hair, making it messy, but it didn't bother me one bit. "I'll make you quiet, Papa. Remember that."

"Give it all you've got."

No need to tell me that. I still need to fight with Grenada. The festival is my challenge. I'll make that walking bomb respect me.

*TIME SKIP*

We're in our class's waiting room right now, and we're.. well, waiting for our entrance.

"It sucks that we won't have to wear our costume." Pinky said.

It's true. Most of our costumes help us gain more control over our quirk and it's made for easier mobility.

My tracksuit is modified like Bat-arms and Esqueleto, but I only requested it to be backless making the top a collar shirt. So yeah, my back is bare for the world to see.

They allowed us to keep some of our equipments for our quirks. I had my pouch, gloves, aviator glasses and earmuffs with me.

"Everyone, are you all ready? We will be entering soon!" Our class president bursted through the door and asked us.

I could feel the tension in the room as 50/50 walked over to Broccoli-chan.

"Midoriya." This caught all our attention as the usually aloof boy called out to the poor fidgety vegetable.

"Looking at it objectively, I'm stronger than you." Is he picking a fight now?

Broccoli-chan responded by somehow insulting himself, saying that out of all our us in class, 50/50 has the most chance to win. He then looked at me with daggers in his eyes.

"And you, Tenshi. I'm gonna beat you this time. Prepare yourself." Oho? Me too? Fine then.

I just gave him a menacing smirk that's enough to make the room feel chilly and narrowed my eyes at him.

"Bring it, boya."

Soon, we were out and walking to the field, taking in the crowd's excited cheers.

"This is kinda making me nervous... What about you, Bakugo?" I heard Rockhard's faltering voice, asking Grenada.

"I'm just getting fired up." Of course he would.

And I should too. Papa's out there somewhere in the crowd, watching me. And Endeavor too. I don't want him looking down on Papa for having such a weakass daughter.

I then noticed Chako sweating and ruffling her short auburn hair. I went closer to her ear and draped my wing over her, trying to shield her from the loud cheers of the crowd. It's probably overwhelming her.

I understand her. Lots of pro heroes are watching us right and if we don't give our best, they won't spare us a glance. We need to look confident about ourselves in order to catch the best of the best's attention. The pressure is probably killing her right now.

"It's alright, girl. Keep your head high. Make your parents proud." I gave her a smile as she looked at me with nervous eyes. She gradually calmed down and had now asked my to take my wing off after thanking me.

That's right, love. Keep your head up.

"Time for the player pledge!"

The boys beside us, specifically Pika and Pervert, immediately fanboyed once they saw and heard that it was Midnight speaking. I just sighed and listened.

"Representing the students is Bakugo Katsuki from Class 1-A!"

Many of our class awed and gasped as soon as they hear Midnight say that Grenada's our representative. What can you do? The guy was the first in the practical exam.

I just eyed him as he climbed up the stage to do the pledge and I couldn't help but feel that he ain't gonna do this properly.

"That guy finished first in the entrance exam." One of the general class's student must of heard Tapeboi cause she immediately started hatin'.

"In the hero course." She said as a matter of factly.

Then why don't you try experiencing a villain attack, eh? You want attention so badly then work for it. Do it like your classmate, Aizawa Jr. At least he challenged us directly.

"I pledge... That I'll be number one."

Pfft. I could hear my classmates thinking 'I knew he'd do that!' and it was hilarious to look at their irritated faces.

All the other classes booed and threw insult to him in which he just ignored.

"At least become a nice bouncy step for me to jump off of." Oho, I know what he's doing. He did the same to me last time.

He's calling for a challenge.

He took the chance to indirectly say that to us when he's been called up, making it the perfect time to aggravate the other students. He's using their anger to fuel their attacks for him. He knows that he'll be targeted for directly saying that he's aiming for the top.

Smart.

I just looked down and smirked, narrowing my eyes at him. I'm taking his challenge to heart. I sneakily pulled on the red string on my pinky, successfully catching his attention. I lifted my face and showed him a taunting smirk and smug eyes that clearly says 'try me bitch' in which he gladly reciprocated before going back down to us.

"This year, it's... Obstacle race!" I felt my wings involuntarily flutter in excitement at this, feeling a little confident.

I'm unbeatable in the sky.

I've won enough races with Papa to know that I'll be coming in the top ten. These peasants will be a nice support. Guhhh... My wings are gettin' a bit heavy here... Am I absorbin' my own pride as well as the other's negative emotions? Not now, Lucifer. Get lighter. Push those feelings away. Remain neutral.

"Are you alright, Hikari? Your wings' gettin' gray." I simply smiled at Chako and patted her head. "Focus on the festival, love." She gave me an unsure look after I said that. I just sighed and grinned at her naturally. "As much as I love receivin' your attention, you gotta focus on more important things." She laughed and playfully swatted my hand away, instantly forgetting about her question earlier.

Midnight ordered us to take our places at the starting point as soon as she finished her announcement.

Others will obviously think that being at the front would give them more advantage but no, it just gives the others on the back a chance to push them down.

I separated myself from Chako which earned me a confused glance from her. I simply smiled and repeated 50/50's words from earlier.

"We're not here to make friends, love. This is a competition and I consider you as a rival right now. Hope you don't take offense from that." Thankfully, she understood and gave me a smile, taking my challenge.

After departing with her, I squeezed myself on the crowd and forced myself to the very back. I'll have a better chance at the back. No one's gonna notice me here. I gotta avoid my classmates at all cost, knowing that they'll stop my mobility. My wings would make the perfect target if I were on the front.

I patiently waited and stretched my wings, already feeling the familiar gaze of my father from behind. The signals blared and...

"Start!"

_______________________________________

cutie_booseoksoon30