Chapter Seventeen

"Kiddo! I'm home! Where are 'ya?"

That's my cue.

"Papa." He turned around with a small smile but it faded out once he saw my serious face. "What's wrong, kiddo?"

I need to ask him. I have to. This might be bad for me and my friends. Could be bad for Papa too.

"Look at it, Papa." I silently ordered him, fluttering my wings a little. But he just raised an eyebrow much to my dismay.

"Look at what?"

"My wings."

It was silent after that and I couldn't help but gulp once he trailed his now wide eyes from my wings to my face.

"Is... Is this bad..?"

He couldn't even utter a word.

"Tell me, Papa. Is this bad?" I continued to ask him, only to receive a sad smile on his face.

What the hell, Papa? Why can't you answer? Is my question that hard? All I need is a yes or no. That hard?

"So you fell. You were that affected by yesterday, huh, kiddo?" What is he saying? Why couldn't he answer clearer? I don't get it.

I stared at him with narrowed eyes, trying to decipher what he was trying to say. This couldn't be that bad.

Right?

"An angel must not be tainted with black or it falls down to a world full of gray. I actually thought that you only inherited your grandmother's quirk." He showed me a smile that brought me relief, indirectly telling me that he had gone through this too.

Then he lifted up his wings.

I couldn't believe it.

It looked gray... No... Black.

"This. This is what heroes do in order to maintain peace. We heroes sacrifice our light in order to outshine the darkness that surrounds the world. Think of it as a double edged sword. We stain ourselves with dirt to satisfy our hunger for peace and to give message to the people below that it's alright. Everything will be fine. You're alive and that's what matters." Those words...

"But we angels also need to cleanse ourselves. We'll fall if we give too much light."

Those words Papa said had been immediately engraved into my mind as his wings gradually lightens. How do you do it, Papa?

"Happy thoughts, kiddo. That's our light." He gave my head a soft pat and ruffled my hair as I watched him with confused eyes.

Happy thoughts... They make sense... How do I do that now?

"Everytime you feel that you're getting gray, think of your light. That's the lesson for today. More will wait the more you descend." More? Does that mean that I'll have to learn new parts of my quirk? And here I thought, I mastered the Angel quirk. Then you go and surprise me, calling it fallen.

I tried to flutter my wings to get a feel of it, having a harder time doing so.

This color is heavy... I don't like heavy...

"Heavy, right? Now go to your room and take it easy for the rest of the day. Make sure it's white tomorrow."

*TIME SKIP*

They're swirling... My mind is going blank... My head is hurting... His blood... Handman did that to him... I'll kill that handman... I need to kill him...

Swirling..

Swirling..

No..

Calm down, girl. Do what Papa said. Happy thoughts. Think happy thoughts girl. It'll all be alright. Get your light back. It'll be fine.