51-Chansung : A Doctor's Patient

Title: A Doctor's Patient

Ship: Chansung

-

"Alright, and who's the new patient?" Dr. Bang asked, taking the clipboard from the nurse.

"He isn't new. His recent doctor retired and chief thinks you are the best to take his place and care for this patient." His nurse, Felix, informed.

Dr. Bang nodded understandingly, flipping open the folder of his new patient as they walk to the room.

"Thyroid cancer." He quotes from the page, slowing down his pace. "I didn't know we had cancer patients."

"They stay on floor six." Felix said.

Dr. Bang nodded and approached the room in which his new patient was staying in. He walked in, putting down the clipboard to get a good look at his patient.

The boy looked from his laptop, immediately taking off his headphones and shutting it closed. "Hello." He said with a smile, waving his two hands at the new doctor.

"Hi, Jisung." Dr. Bang greeted. "I'm Doctor Bang, I'll be attending to you in your recent doctor's spot, as he retired."

Jisung nodded. "Dr. Gang told me he wouldn't be here much longer to watch over me. He was kind of boring anyway."

Dr. Bang chuckled. "Well, I'm sure we'll together for awhile, so go ahead and call me Chan."

Felix made his way over to Jisung, taking the oxygen tube sitting on the edge of the bed and shoving it into Jisung's chest. "This should be on at all times."

Giving Felix a guilty look, he put on the oxygen tube.

"If you don't wear that you might just die." Chan said, walking over to the computer sitting in the room for the Doctors.

"I might just die wearing it, too." Jisung retorted.

It was then that Chan realized that this boy had low hope of living. It was no wonder he was stuck with such a rare type of cancer.

"I see your tests have stayed the same for the last three months." Chan said.

"Isn't that bad?" Jisung asked, Chan turning around to face him. "Doesn't that mean I have a chance of dying?"

"It means you have a chance of living." Chan said, sitting in the chair in front of the bed.

"Isn't that the same thing?"

"Is it?" Chan asked. "A chance of living is the hope that they'll be a future. A chance of dying is the risk of no future. I see it as a chance of living."

Jisung nodded. "I guess that makes sense."

"What do you want to be when you grow up, Jisung?" Chan asked, a smile on his face as he spoke to the boy.

"A composer." Jisung said. He unplugged his headphones from his laptop and played the track he was working on earlier. It was ten seconds, but enough to tell Chan how talented he was.

"I think it's possible." Chan nodded. "That sounded great."

Jisung smiled. "Thanks. It takes hours to put together just thirty seconds of a song."

"I'm assuming you believe in the chance of dying, and you spend your time doing what you want to be, thinking you're going to die?"

"Well if I'm gonna die, might as well as do something I enjoy."

"Have you ever thought that maybe, you can spend even longer doing that?"

Jisung's eyes focused on his laptop where his music was sitting. He was thinking. Then he shook his head.

"Think about it more often, then."