148-Special: Stray Dogs

Title: Stray Dogs

//WOLFGANG wolfgang WOLFGANG wolfgang

They say werewolves roamed the forests before the humans moved in, being the mediator of the woods to keep animals from striking out. It was them who owned the places of little sunlight and dirt floors. But they had seen what their human counterparts had done to each other of different origins, and they hid.

But the legend of the werewolves in Mountain Thicket still spread through the small town of Sharpton. That werewolves roamed the woods in pursuit of human flesh—

Jeongin shut the book, blinking his eyes at the disbelief that flooded him. Human flesh? Honestly, for a cryptic story, they couldn't have done them any better? He didn't think he and his family ate human flesh for they were still human. Werewolf or not.

Jeongin pushed the book away and glanced over at his classmates. Everyone was immersed in finishing their cryptic projects with research and illustrations. This would have been more fun if Jeongin had gotten a topic that wasn't his own kind—which wasn't researched properly because werewolves did just hide. Sure, the humans were part of the reason, but vampires posed a much bigger threat.

Jeongin raised his hand.

"Yes, Yang?"

"Can I go to the bathroom?"

"Make it quick."

Jeongin stood, shoving his hands into his pockets as he strode out. He didn't actually need to use the bathroom, but he needed an excuse not to do his work. He'd just bullshit the whole thing.

Of course, Chan wouldn't be too happy about Jeongin half-assing his work, but he wasn't here to stop him.

  The hall monitors were though.

  As soon as Dayoung came into view, Jeongin pierced his lips together and turned himself back around. Dayoung was the pinnacle of his existence. He was overly concerned with Jeongin's life to a point that he had reported him to the social worker on campus about 'his parents supposed absence'. Explaining that to the social worker was a ride that Jeongin would rather not hop back on. Saying that his parents were severely disabled was enough to get the worker off his ass. Not enough for Dayoung though.

  "Jeongin!" Dayoung called. He trotted up and swung his arm around Jeongin's shoulders. "Hey, haven't seen you in a hot minute. You had like an entire week off school, didn't you?"

  Jeongin let out a sigh. "Yeah. Family business."

  "Oh, really? Everything okay at home? You know we're always here to help you out at—"

  "Everything's fine."

  "If you say so. Just watching out for my little bro." Dayoung knocked a fist against Jeongin's bicep with a small laugh. "Also, you're not skipping class are you? That wouldn't look good on your record—"

  "I was going to the bathroom actually. Before you came up to me." Jeongin stopped walking and pierced his eyes at Dayoung. "So, that's where I'm going to go. Alone. Bye."

Jeongin was just able to wiggle himself out of Dayoung grasp and speed walk away. The older called something out, but he didn't care to listen. He didn't want to ever listen to Dayoung's damn voice again.

Jeongin pulled out his sketchbook as he began his way home from school. The school was actually quite close to the forest so the walk was never too bad. Thirty minutes was still a lot, but bearable, and good for his stamina as Chan always lectures him.