134-Minchan: Bloody Feathers

Title: Bloody Feathers

Ship: Minchan

TW: Just a lil gore, just a lil
not edited lol

The avians lived above and the humans lived below. That was how it always had been in South Decking.

  The avians lived up in their tree topped houses built into the thick wood of the giant redwood trees. They had bridges that spread across the forest to houses and markets, lanterns hanging high that were only lit at night during specific, socially gathered hours. They had their own farms of berries and fruits tucked between trees where only the gatherers worked. In the middle of their own town was a partially chopped giant wood tree that was the biggest of them all. There they carefully lit a flame and sang songs and danced in celebration of their lives. That was the above of South Decking.

  Below, the humans lived on the ground. They built houses in between the trees, in the clearings. They built into the trees too, careful not to carve it out too high. They had lines of markets where they shared their goods and findings. They had stone paths between their buildings that were lit up with light poles to light the way during the dimly lit hours of the evening. They had large area of farms for the same berries and fruits that the avians gathered. They had livestock of cattle and pigs to gather meat that the avians wouldn't ever dream of eating. They did not sing or dance, but they did watch the entertainment above on those nights. That was the below of South Decking.

  Minho knew he was to never cross paths with those who lived in the below of South Decking. He heard the stories of how their silly town came to be. The war that split them. The treaties they had created for peace time. Never look one another in the eyes, it said. Do not associate oneself with that of foreign lifestyle, and all will remain without bloodshed.

  This was something he had to be careful of. The treaty was drilled into his head the moment he started to train as a hunter. They did not eat meat, but their bushes of fruits and berries would not last forever during the cold days of the winter season, and neither would their fragile skin. They needed food and they needed warmth. Hunting down the starvation herbs beyond North and sheering the horned mammals further beyond that was their only firm way of survival during these harsh months.

  Minho turned twenty today. Today he would finally be that of a real hunter. One that would lead patrols and go out alone during the days that the humans turned North.

  Minho prepped his bow. He would have to be prepared for any dangerous predators outside South Decking. Humans weren't an exception.

  "Ah!" Minho flinched away, his deep chocolate colored wings spreading suddenly at the cold touch. Turning around to find the culprit, he was relieved to see his dearest friend, Jisung. "What gives?"

  "You haven't pruned your wings." Jisung said. "I know it feels better during the winter months but you'll bleed if you wait until spring."

  Jisung's wings shook with an eyebrow raise. They were a beautiful jet black with hints of gold. It was like honey dripping within the shadows of darkness. They were truly a sight to see, and Jisung took advantage with that. He was one of the main performers during their nights of celebration.

  Minho rolled his eyes. "I hardly have time today. I have to leave before the sun comes in. Any later and I should run into nightly predators on my trip back."

  "Then let me."

  "Why would I?" Minho snapped. "I'll prune them when I get back. I don't need your dirt in my feathers."