Hopelessly Reaching

I Recommend rereading the chapter "Broaden My Horizons" before you read this one! 

********

November 11, 2013

Yup, they meant officially. 

Starting in January the boys (this statement now including Matt and James) would be doing an eleven date arena tour performing some of Busted and McFly's greatest hits. 

And it was announced today. 

The tickets went on sale in three days. Most fans seemed ecstatic, however some loyal McFly fans were nervous about the future of the four piece. I wasn't. And either way, it seemed like, through social media, that sales wouldn't be too bad. 

But we were all nervous. Matt said he didn't think anyone would buy tickets considering they're all "old" now and that definitely started to worry us all. Surely at least one person would buy tickets. Still...that's not enough to save funding or their prides... 

The McFly boys had put out their books Unsaid Things and it had done extremely well. Better than I had ever imagined. I hadn't read it yet, but a few copies sat on my coffee table at home. 

And now that the fuss about all that was over the six-piece was rehearsing everyday. 

I had certainly underestimated the difficulty of this whole McBusted thing. Sure, McFly had five albums, which is kind of a lot to remember all the songs from, especially some of the ones written over ten years ago, but Busted only had two albums, so there wasn't even that much more for them to take on. 

But the remembering wasn't the hard part. Well, it was for Danny, but the hardest part was the instruments. When Tom, Harry, Danny and Dougie played, it was easy. They all had different parts. Tom played rhythm guitar and usually sang higher melodies, Danny played lead guitar and usually sang lower melodies, Dougie did the highest harmonies and the bass line and Harry kept rhythm with the drums. 

But now having multiple people playing multiple instruments? It sounded best if Dougie and Matt didn't play the same bass line, because if they weren't perfectly on time it sounded weird, which meant that additional bass lines had to be thought up for every song, since neither Busted nor McFly ever had more than one bassist. And don't even get me started on the fact that there now had to be three guitar parts. Harry was doing well, however. 

Most of the time, the guys stayed pretty calm (unlike in some unfortunate rehearsals we'd been through in 2005) and seemed completely chill. Like they weren't nervous at all. I don't know how. I was nervous as hell, but tried not to show it. I was just glad they had started rehearsing early. 

It was almost painful being at rehearsals, as nothing could keep me from thinking about all the anxiety this 'supergroup' was causing me.

Well, almost nothing. 

"How about this." I smile at Tom, as we're all taking a lunch break. "You sell out all the shows on this tour and you have to dye your hair blue." 

"What? Why?" Tom asks. 

"Because! You made me do it for the RAH without even asking first AND you did it wrong!" 

"Danny did it too! And it washed out." He scoffs, taking a bite of his kale salad. 

"Danny didn't make up the idea on a live podcast." I say. 

"Ooh! Burn!" Matt chuckles. He had the most infectious laugh. 

"Plus it was green for two weeks! My accountant thought I was loosing my mind." I say. 

"You were." Danny smiles.