So Many Warnings You Choose to Ignore

April 7, 2012: Keep Calm and Play Louder Tour; London, England

Remember a while ago Harry said he wanted to run in the London marathon and I said I thought he'd give up on training?

Well turns out, he didn't give up and the marathon was quickly approaching. It was right after tour and right before Tom and Gi's wedding.

It was going to be a hectic month.

When I entered the dressing room, Tom was the only one sat inside. He was on the couch with papers spread all around the coffee table in front of him, and his head in his hands.

"Hey Tom. You alright?" I ask, walking in and closing the door behind me. I put his in ear pack in front of him, as they were going to soundcheck soon.

"No. Not at all." He says, still with his head in his hands.

"What's going on?" I sit on the couch opposite to him. He lets out a huge sigh and then looks up at me.

"I'm trying to write my wedding speech and I hate the world." He says.

"Good attitude." I say.

"I can't do it." He says, holding his hands up in surrender and dropping his pen. "This is my white flag, universe!" He exclaims. "You win! Forces of evil one, Tom zero. I can't write my wedding speech."

"Woah, calm down." I say. "What's causing the problem?"

"All of it." Tom says. "The whole goddamn thing. I can't even write the speech, let alone, stand up in front of hundreds of people and say it outloud in front of my new wife!" He leans forward. "My wife, Lilly." He says quietly, as if I'm the one making him do this.

"Tom you perform in front of thousands of people all the time. You're literally doing it tonight! That's your job."

"I sing in front of thousands of people. I don't have to say a speech in front of them."

"You talk in front of them too!" I say.

"None of the stuff we say on stage is planned like this." Tom motions to the papers in front of him.

"That should make it even more nerve wracking than this then!" I laugh.

"Fine, I shouldn't have stage fright. Whatever. It still doesn't change the fact that I can't write this stupid speech." He leans back and puts a pout on his face, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Okay you can't write a speech...write a song. You can write those...God knows you've written a ton about Gi already." I laugh to myself, but Tom looks up with a face that says eureka. "I've just solved all your problems, haven't I?" I ask. Tom's face turns to a smile. "Yes!" I clap, standing up. "I'm amazing, now let's go sound check."

********************

The boys had just finished singing Sorry's Not Good Enough, and were just about halfway through their set list now. They had a little bit planned for the crowd but I didn't know what it was, so I was quite curious to see what this was all about. 

"So if you guys don't know," Danny begins, speaking to the crowd that was screaming over him. "In just a few days, our Harry is going to be running in the London Marathon." The crowd screams even louder. "And marathons are not easy to run, are they Harry?" 

"No Danny, they are not." Harry laughs. 

"So." Danny turns to his left. "Dougie." 

"Yes Danny?" Dougie asks. 

"I think you should find a song to sing." 

"A song to sing?" Tom questions.

"Yeah." Danny says. "To give Harry the boost he needs when he's running." 

"Ooh!" Harry pipes up. "I'd like you to sing me the theme tune to Titanic." He laughs, and the crowd roars. 

"Right." Dougie nods slowly. 

"Just listen to this when your fifteen miles in mate." Danny smiles back at Danny and then the theme from Titanic actually starts playing and I can't help but laugh. 

How is Dougie ever going to sing this? It's much to high. 

Dougie closes his eyes as the intro is being played, takes a deep breath and moves closer to the microphone and begins. 

Every night in my dreams 

I see you, I feel you 

that is how I know you 

go on 

But the audience is dying with laughter, and so am I, because Dougie has a chipmunk voice altering setting set on his microphone. 

Tom runs over to Dougie and puts a ship captain's hat on his head, and I can't even imagine where they got that from. 

Far across the distance 

and spaces 

between us 

you have come to show...something 

blah blah blah 

I laugh, and Dougie moves a bit away from the mic, inhaling a massive breath 

NEAR!  

He screams it into the mic so loud, and it's so high pitched, I have to cover my ears. 

FAR! 

where ever you are- 

And just when I thought this couldn't get any better, Harry, Danny and Tom all stand behind Dougie and they do a four person Titanic-pose, because let's face it, they're all the Jack to Dougie's Rose...

I believe that 

the heart does 

go on

Once more 

blah blah blah blah blah 

Dougie starts to forget the words as all the boys go back to their respective microphone stands, or drum kit, but not before Danny can lean over and let out a high-pitched laugh in Dougie's microphone. 

//

Yes, this was technically on the memory lane tour, but we gotta move things along people!