When the Days are Rough and an Hour Seems Much Longer

December 13, 2004

"So where's Fletch?" Tom asks when I walk back in the room.

"Uh...Fletch isn't going to be able to make it." I say.

"What? Fletch comes to all our shows!" Danny says.

"Is he alright?" Tom asks.

"Yes, of course. He just has the flu. Not bad, but nothing you want to be around when you've just started tour." I say.

"But Fletch is our good luck charm!" Harry cries.

"It'll be alright. I promise." I say.

"How can you be sure?" Danny asks skeptically. I look at Dougie, who's looking at me through his fringe, which covers his face with a pleading look.

"I was hired by Fletch, which means I have his lucky properties as well." I say.

"Alright. You have a point." Tom says.

"I'm going to the bathroom. I'll be back in five." Danny says. He walks up to the door, opens it, and it hits him square in the nose. He turns holding his face.

"Danny!" Tom and I yell, nervous.

"Oh my god!" I say, rushing over to him. But as I do, he begins to laugh and uncover his nose.

"Joking!" He laughs.

"Not funny!" I yell at him.

"Yeah seriously, Danny!" Tom yells. I sigh and go back to the other boys as Danny leaves. A couple minutes later, Dougie mumbles something.

"What Dougie?" I ask softly. He looks at me.

"He said we need to get our makeup done." Tom says.

"I'll go look for Mel." Harry says, leaving. Five minutes later Danny arrives again.

"What time is it?" I ask him. He goes into his back pocket and sighs.

"I left me phone in the toilets!" He complains. He turns to the door, and Harry opens it. As he does, Danny pretends to get hit in the face again.

"Stop it Danny! I told you, that's not funny!" I yell at him.

"Um...Lilly." Harry says quietly.

"Yes Harry?" I ask looking up, only to see Danny standing in the doorway, white as a ghost with blood gushing from his nose.

"Danny!" I yell, rushing to his side. I take his hand and lead him to the couch were he sits, in shock.

"Is there a medic?" I ask.

"A medic?" Harry asks. "It's a concert not a marathon race."

"Well go find a first aid kit!" I turned to Danny to see blood running down his chin. Dougie was sat next to me, and I had no idea where Tom was. I could tell Dougie wasn't good with blood. His face was as white as Danny's. I looked around for tissues, or paper towels, but I couldn't find anything. "Dougie, can you help me get his shirt off?" I asked. Dougie nodded and took part of his shirt as I lifted his arms. When it got to Danny's head, I took over, not allowing Dougie to touch the blood. "Thank you Dougie." I said and he nodded again. "Could you go with Harry to look for a first aid kit?" Dougie didn't even nod. He just got up and ran out the door.

"How you doing, Danny, you alright?" I ask. But he just keeps blinking slowly. "Danny?" I ask, putting the tee shirt to his nose, as the white color was infected with crimson.

"I-I..." He began.

"It's okay." I said, as I continued to hold the tee shirt to his nose gently. I put one of my arms around him and he put his head on my shoulder. The blood started to drip on my shirt, but I didn't mind.

"Will I be able to sing?" He asks.

"The show is two hours away. If you feel better, then yes. If you don't, we'll figure it out." I say. Tom suddenly burst through the door.

"I got ice." He said, handing it to me.

"Thank you." I said, as I placed the cold pack on Danny's forehead. Suddenly, Harry burst through the door with a first aid kit in his hands.

"Where's Dougie?" I ask.

"What do you mean?" He asks.

"I told Dougie to go with you." I said.

"He went to the bathroom." Harry says.

"Oh god." I say. I prop Danny up and take Tom and put him my position. I pull Harry down to the couch as well.

"Stuff his nose with gauze and keep the cold pack on his nose. Can you do that?" I ask.

"Yes." Tom said. I go to run to Dougie, but realize I can't see him in a bloody outfit. I look around and see Tom's sweatshirt on the chair.

"Tom, may I take your sweatshirt?" I say, quickly. He nods, and I take it.

"Don't leave." Danny says quietly. I turn to him. I feel bad for the guy. His first concert of his first tour ever and he basically has a broken nose.

"Danny I'll be right back. I promise. I have to make sure Dougie's okay." I say. "Tom and Harry will be with you the whole time and I'll be back really shortly."

I burst out the door and I zip up Tom's sweatshirt as I run to the men's room. I run in without hesitation. I see Danny's phone on the counter, and quickly grab it, putting it in my pocket. "Dougie?" I ask. I hear nothing but some choking noise in the handicap stall. I lock the bathroom door and go to the stall. "Dougie?" I ask again. "Please talk to me."

"I-I don't want to be seen like this." He whispers.

"Dougie, please." I beg. I hear slow footsteps to the door. "Please." The door clicks open and I see him, and sick in the toilet. He stands, as white as Danny was, with his fringe covering his face still. I don't know what to say to him, so I just hug him. I feel like Dougie constantly needs a hug.

But he hugged me back, which is something I didn't expect.

"Wash your face. I'll be right back." I say. I run down the hall to the dressing room and grab a bottle of water. I turn to Tom and throw him Danny's phone.

"Call Dougie if anything happens." I say. He nods and I run back to the bathroom. "Dougie?" I see him standing by the sink and I hand him the water. He opens it and drinks. He looks better. "Do you think you can go back to the dressing room if Danny stops bleeding?" I ask.

"Yes." He says.

"May I use your phone?" I ask. He nods, and I take it and call Danny's phone.

"Lilly where's Dougie?" Tom answers. I look at Dougie and he shrugs.

"He was..." Dougie looks horrified. Probably at the fact that he got sick in the toilets and has to tell the boys. "In the bathroom." I say. "Is Danny bleeding anymore?"

"Uh...no. no he's not." Tom says.

"Get rid of the shirt, clean him up and make sure there's no blood. Dougie and I are coming back." I say.

"Right on it." Tom said and hung up. I gave Dougie's phone back and looked at him. "Let's go Doug."

//