Nowhere Left to Hide

May 10, 2011 

"God damnit!" I yelled, slamming my hand down repeatedly on my laptop screen. 

"Woah, calm down there." Dougie says, holding a hand up. 

"Yeah. Hitting it isn't going to solve the problem." Harry says. 

"Do you ever think your laptop doesn't work because you're mean to it?" Danny asks. 

"Or because it's four hundred years old?" Tom asks. "Seriously, Lil, you need to upgrade. Like, everything." 

Today, we were sat around in Danny's flat Because tomorrow night, Tom would be asking Gi's dad, Mario, for permission to marry her, and he was nervous. 

And after he does that, we were all spending two days on a barge to celebrate (or cheer him up, if all didn't go to plan). 

"It's only six years old, thank you very much." I say. 

"It's as thick as The Bible and makes loud noises when you turn it on. Plus you're the only person in the world with a flip phone still. It's 2011, get with the times Grandma." Harry says. 

"It's fine, it'll start." I say, hitting the keys again. 

"You know, Lil. When you pick up Gi's ring today you could go get a new one." Tom says. 

"For the last time, I'm not going to forget to pick up the freakin' ring, and also, I don't really have the money for a new computer or phone right now, considering I just had to replace Dougie's windshield." I say, as my computer starts whirring. 

"Hey, it's your fault you smashed it." Tom holds up his hands defensively. 

"I didn't say it wasn't, but it still cost an arm and a leg." I say. 

"Some things are worth the splurge!" Harry laughs.  

"Like a barge?" I ask. "Who's idea even was that? The five of us on a barge to celebrate. Might as well put us in a sardine can." 

"Hey!" Dougie says. "Being on a barge is like being a pirate." He smiles. 

"No...it's not." I reply. I needed to stop myself. I was prone to getting angry over small things due to my constant exhaustion, and I was excited to celebrate for Tom. "I should get going. I've got things to do." I say, quickly getting up. 

"Well, we'll see you tomorrow, then?" Harry asks, as I make my way to the door. I smile weakly. Even that took effort.  

"Yes." I say, quickly leaving. 

When I finally got home it took my laptop 3 hours to start up, and when it finally did I had tons of emails I needed to answer. Since I figured I wasn't going to sleep, I stayed up until the early hours of the morning answering them. 

After a few hours, I started getting thirsty, so I took a break and went down to the kitchen. I put the kettle on the boil, took out a tea bag, and opened the cabinet with the glasses to get myself some water. 

But when I opened the cabinet, all of the glasses in the front row fell out onto the floor in front of me, creating a glass barrier from letting me over to the other side of the kitchen. 

"Shit." I mutter, leaning down to pick up a piece of glass, but it immediately cuts me, and I start to bleed profusely. "Shit!" I repeat, louder, putting my hand over the sink and running the water, but the blood just keeps coming out. I'm surprised I don't start to feel dizzy from the blood loss. I sigh, turning the water off and grabbing a piece of kitchen roll, but when I turn back to the sink, it's still running. I try to turn it off again, and it starts spraying all over the kitchen. "Shit!" I yell, this time.