Loud and Clear Above the Noise

Two quick things before we start:

1.) Today, March 12, 2017 is Danny Jones' 31st birthday!!! Happy birthday Danny!

2.) The real Royal Variety performance in 2005 took place on December 11, but I don't have to time so we're pushing it up a month.

Enjoy! (and watch the video above to enhance your reading experience!)

********************************************************************************

November 11, 2005: The Royal Variety Performance

Today was the day of the Royal Variety and I was so nervous.

The boys were absolute pros at performing and didn't really get nervous, but this was different. They were performing in front of the Queen.

I made sure they all wore something appropriate to meet the queen in. I don't know how I manage to get them all in suits, but I did and it was a miracle.

However, I still couldn't get Harry to not style his hair in a Mohawk, but hey, you can only do so much.

Another thing that made me nervous was that I wasn't going to be backstage right up until the boys had to go onstage like usual. We were separate as soon as we got in the venue, and I couldn't even focus on the other acts.

When it was finally time for the boys to go onstage, I was so nervous, I could barely stay in the theater. I was sitting next to Fletch and Richard and it didn't matter how many times Fletch told me they'd be fine, I was still basically hyperventilating.

As soon as Tom sang the first note, I held my breath until the end of the performance.

He's drinking cold Corona

Feels like he's getting older

Now and noticing how he's finding

Grey hairs left in the shower

Tattoos fade by the hour

And he can't understand these feelings

Why life is getting him down

He used to smile now he frowns

And cries inside

It's been this way for a while

And he can't seem to put things right

When life has been unkind

And you're losing your mind

Look in the mirror afraid of what you'll find

It feels like time's not on your side

He doesn't like to mention

Applying for his pension

So his children don't know he's heading

Into a mid-life crisis

He can't afford the prices for

The new kitchen floor he's buying

He's been a drunk all his life

Two kids, a dog and a wife

He doesn't know

And in the daytime he just sits and watches television shows

When life has been unkind

And you're losing your mind

Look in the mirror afraid of what you'll find

It feels like time's not on your side

Don't know why but somehow

The ones you love you hate now,

You feel down and blue

Look at what you've thrown away

They stood beside you all the way

Now it's too late, it's too late for you

When life has been unkind

And you're losing your mind

Look in the mirror afraid of what you'll find

It feels like time's not on your side

Everything about their performance was perfect. As soon as they finished, I leapt up from my seat, clapping erratically.

The boys came forward and bowed to the audience, and as soon as they turned to the right all together and bowed to the Queen, I wiped the tears of joy and pride off my cheek.

*********************************************************

I ran to Fletch's car and waited outside for the boys to hear about what happened when they met the Queen.

Not too long later, the boys appeared, laughing hysterically.

"What happened?" I asked, as they continued to laugh.

"We got the giggles." Tom says, through laughs.

"What?" I ask.

"We were about to meet the Queen, and we were told to call her ma'am as in palm and not to speak unless spoken to." Harry explains.

"Okay." I say.

"When she came up to Dougie, she shook his hand and then he stifled a laugh, so then I was trying to stifle a laugh and when I said, 'Your majesty', it came out really high pitched." Harry says, as they begin to calm down.

"And then Danny goes, 'did you like the show?' Oh, it was classic!" Tom says.

"Well, you guys did amazing." I say, hugging them.

"Lilly cried." Fletch said.

"What?" Danny asked.

"Oh give me a break." I laugh.

//