My Parent's Out of Town

December 18, 2006

"Lil? you gotta get up if we're gonna make it to Tom's." I hear Dougie say. I had just taken a nap before our whole group was meant to go to Tom and Gi's for dinner.

"Morning." I say, with my eyes still closed.

"Night." Dougie laughs as he corrects me.

"Right." I say, sitting up on the couch and rubbing my eyes.

"So...while you were asleep Mum called." He says.

"Is she okay?" I ask, filling with worry.

"Yes, yes she's fine don't worry." Dougie says, sitting on a chair across from me. "She wanted to know what we were doing for Christmas."

"Oh...what are we doing?" I ask.

"Well...I would like to go home." Dougie says.

"I understand." I smile, getting up and walking towards the stairs to go get ready.

"With you." He says. I stop and turn to face him. "I told my mum."

"You did?"

"Yes, but I told her all the circumstances. How she can't tell anyone or let it slip anywhere...but you are my girlfriend, Lilly. I would like you to come home with me. Plus, Mum loves you. And I don't want you to be alone on Christmas." He rambles.

"Of course I'll go back to Essex with you Dougie." I say.

"You're not mad?" He asks.

"Of course not. I feel bad we kept it from your mum for so long."

"She understands. Like I said, I told her the whole story." He smiles.

"Of course she does. She is wonderful like that." I smile. I head to walk up the stairs again, until Dougie cuts me off once more.

"Lilly? May I ask you a touchy question?" He asks.

"Sure." I say. If anyone knows anything about me, it's Dougie. And now that he knows my age, there's truly nothing I feel I have to hide.

"Your dad...do you think she would have liked me? You know...like my mum likes you?" He asks. "Cause I don't have a dad, really anymore. And I know how dads get about their daughters."

"Yes Dougie." I smile sadly. "Dad would have loved you."

And I'm not lying.

****************************************************************

We made it to Tom and Gi's (at separate times, of course) and were hanging around with Harry and Izzy waiting for Danny to arrive.

But then, it got late.

So we ate without him and saved him a plate.

But he never came for it.

"Don't worry, Lilly." Harry tried to reassure me. "He's just forgetful. Classic Danny."

But I knew something was wrong. So I borrowed Dougie's car and took it to Danny's flat, leaving everyone else, unworried at Tom and Gi's.

"Danny!" I call out, walking into his unlocked home before I look over and see him, sitting in the corner of his living room with flushed, tear stained cheeks and a sniffly nose.

"Hey." He says quietly. I rush over to his side, wiping his cheeks like a protective mother. " Sorry for missing dinner."

"What happened?" I ask. I'm expecting an injury of some sort.

"Me dad called." He said.

"Is he alright?" I ask cautiously. Danny laughs.

"Yeah. He's great." Danny starts getting angry and throws his phone on the ground, breaking it. "Bastard!" He yells.

"Danny!" I exclaim, looking at the broken phone. I look back to him. "What happened?"

"He found some whore and 'fell in love' apparently."

"What?" I ask confused.

"They were already divorced but...he's leaving...for good." Danny says, holding his knees to his chest. "He's leaving all of us. Vicky and me too."

I sigh, and sit next to him, right beside him, in the same way he is sitting so our legs and arms touch. I look at him, even though he is looking at the ground.

"Guess I'm just like Dougie know, huh? And you'd know how to handle that. But...ugh...I don't want to be like that!" He yells.

"And how is that?" I ask.

"Dad-less." He says, still looking at the floor.

"Can I tell you something Danny?" I ask.

"What have I got to lose?"

"Dougie isn't the only person you can relate to." I say. "My dad left me."

And finally, Danny looks over at me.

"And yeah, you can say he didn't choose to...but that almost makes it worse in a way, to me. I used to wish he left me and my mum. Cause then, at least, I could hunt him down and kick his ass." Danny laughs. "But I can't. And at least you can do that. You can kick his ass."

"Doubt it." Danny says.

"Well, that isn't the point anyway, innit?" I ask. "You don't have to think you're the dad-less part of the band. Cause lots of people don't have dads. And you know what? Most of us are okay. And he's is still there, if you wanna kick his ass." I say.

"I suppose." Danny smiles, wiping his nose.

"But if you do kick his ass, kick it for Dougie's dad too." I say, and he laughs. I wrap my arms around him, and don't think about when I'm letting go.

//

Technically this happened when Danny was 18 and now in this he is 20, but we had to put it in somewhere.