This Ship's Going Down

March 8, 2005

"I don't really see why you're freaking out, Lilly." Dougie says from my couch as I fix tea for us.

"Because, Dougie, Tom is acting like this is no big deal." I say.

"But why are you freaking out?" He asks.

"I don't know. I just think it's weird that no one cares." I say.

"I care. I think we're all just a little preoccupied with the video." Dougie says. The All About You music video came out yesterday and it's doing phenomenally well.

"Yeah, that is pretty amazing. I guess it's just because James was talking about how much he loves performing on New Years and now that's all gone for him because...what? Charlie didn't get what he wants?" I ask turning around to grab tea out of the cupboard. I close the cupboard and it comes out of the hinges. I sigh and climb onto the counter.

"Woah!" Dougie says coming over. "What are you doing?"

"Fixing my cabinet. It comes out all the time." I say.

"You're going to fall." Dougie says, putting his hands out like he's ready to catch me at any time. I fix the hinges and climb off the counter.

"I'm fine Dougie." I say, handing him a tea and making my way to the couch. He sits next to me.

"I like Charlie...he can just be a little..."

"Shit." I say.

"Jeez, Lilly! No! I was going to say...controlling." He says.

" I don't know. I just feel like there should be a bigger reaction." I say. Dougie puts his tea on the coffee table and turns to face me on the couch. All of the sudden, he starts crying and puts his head in my lap. I'm shocked and I quickly put my tea on the coffee table. "Dougie?" I put my hands on his back. What's going on? He was fine a second ago.

"Oh God! I'm so sad Lilly!" He sobs.

"Why?" I ask. Seriously, what's going on?

"Busted!" He says and sit back up straight only for me to see that he hadn't been crying at all. He picks up his tea again. "Was that a big enough reaction for you?" He asked.

"No." I smile. My phone starts to ring and I go over and pick it up. "Hello?" I ask.

"Lilly?" I hear in a hushed tone.

"Uhh...Tom? Why are you whispering?" I ask.

"I'm at James' flat. I was wondering if you could come over." He says.

"What? Why?" I ask.

"I know you've got a boyfriend and all, but James really likes you and he's...well...he's a little upset." Tom says.

"I don't even know where he lives." I say.

"But you're with Dougie, right?" Dougie knows where he lives. It's not far from ours... please?" He asks. I am concerned for James.

"We'll be right there." I say. Tom thanks me and we hang up the phone. "C'mon, Doug." I grab my coat off the hook by the door.

"Where are we going?" He asks.

"I don't know. You have to show me the way." I say.

********************************

James actually lives a lot closer to me than I thought. He doesn't live in a huge mansion like I expected, but he does live in a penthouse. It's called Princess Park Manor.