On the Way Back Home to Mine

February 7, 2006

This was the last week the boys had in the band house before moving out, so we were spending a lot of time there.

I had seen all of the boys houses, except Dougie's so that was the plan today, and after Dougie would be coming over mine. The boys were told Dougie would be dropping me off at my flat and then staying at a 'friend's' house for the night, but in reality, Dougie was parking in the back lot.

It was a risky game, but then again, what wasn't?

"Alright. Here we are." Dougie announced, as he pulled his car into the driveway. It was just nearing dinner time, so the sky was half blue, half orange. It made the large house look even more exquisite.

Dougie and I exited the car and I couldn't take my eyes off the house in front of me.

I barely remembered my house in Bolton. All I remember was that there was a swing in the garden and the walls of my bedroom were pink.

All I've ever really known is my small, dark, London flat.

I wish with every ounce of my being that one day I'll have a house like this. Maybe one of the bedrooms will be pink and there will be a swing in the garden. All I know for sure is it won't have wonky cabinets and creepy landlords.

"You're staring." I hear Dougie say behind me. I turn and look at him and feel my face sink into a smile.

"Sorry." I laugh lightly. He smiles and walks past me towards the door. He puts the key in the lock and opens the door.

"Come on." He says, holding the door open and I walk over to him.

The house is really big. Probably not that big, but only knowing my small apartment, it was big. The house was cute, and, though it was big, it wasn't what you would expect a celebrity's house to look like.

It was cozy and small with a little winding staircase tucked off into a corner. I made my way into the living room. It had big windows and was brighter than any home I'd ever come to know, even at 5:00 on a winter night.

I made my way into the office and the dinning room and kitchen, not even paying attention to Dougie, until I heard his voice behind me.

"What do you think?" He asks. I turn my attention from the gas stove to him, standing in the doorway.

"It's amazing." I smile.

"Amazing? It's just a house. Although, compared to the band house, I reckon it is quite amazing." He laughs. "Let's go upstairs." He says.

I follow him through the upstairs through all the rooms.

"And this is the master suite." He says, leading me into a beautiful room with a big bed and painted with warm and welcoming colours.

"I love it." I say, almost speechless. That was the biggest bed I've ever seen.

"Good. I'm happy." He says. But in reality, I couldn't help but be a tad bit jealous of Dougie. In all honesty, I wanted this house, or, I guess, a house like it.

It didn't take Dougie and I long to finish up at the house, lock the door, and make our way back in his car to go to my flat.

When we make our way from the back parking lot into the building I grab Dougie's hand as we walk in feeling unthreatened by the old security cameras.

"Well, well, well." I hear a familiar voice proclaim from behind me.

Spoke too soon. I sigh and turn to the front desk to see Steven.