The World is Turning Inside Out

February 5, 2009

It was really weird to think it had been a year since we all went to Australia for the boys to write radio:ACTIVE, and now here we are, at Wembley Arena in London, for the boys to play the third to last show on the tour.

after tonight, there was a two day break. Then there would be a show in Liverpool, and then we were all getting on a plane to Tokyo for the show there.

The boys were in the dressing room, as they do, blasting music, doing their hair, practicing their instruments, drinking too much alcohol and doing vocal warm ups (in that order).

Fletch and I sat on the couch. He was doing something on his phone, and I'm responding to as many emails as I can before the break.

"So...guys." Tom says, turning to face us.

"Yes Tom?" Fletch says.

"We were thinking..." Tom says hesitantly. Fletch and I instantly stop what we're doing, look at each other and then up at Tom, and the other three boys, who are now all standing next to each other, looking at us.

"I hate when you do that." Fletch says. "It doesn't happen often, and when it does it's dangerous."

"Let's hear them out." I laugh. "What were you thinking?"

"After tour...we've had such an awesome time with the whole process of radio:ACTIVE that we want to start writing album five right away." Tom says.

"Well that's not bad at all." I say.

"What's the catch?" Fletch asks skeptically.

"Fletch, give them the benefit of the doubt. The boys are hard working and-"

"We want to do it in Australia." Harry finishes. There's silence for about a minute.

"Ok...so you were right." I say, turning to Fletch.

"Lads, do you know how long it took for me to get you space in 301 and a place to stay? Plus, We'd have to get your producer down-"

"Jason's already there." Danny says. "And we already rented out the same penthouse." Fletch looks shocked.

"You gotta give it to them, Fletch. When they want something, they get it done." I smile.

"How did you manage that?" Fletch asks.

"It's crazy what you can get when you say 'it's an emergency!'" Harry smiles. I can't help but laugh.

"It's only three weeks. Just to get the beginning of the album done." Dougie says.

"We just loved it last time. We want to do it again." Tom says. "All we need now...is you guys."

I put my laptop on the table in front of the couch and get up, joining the boys in the little line they've made with their arms around each other.

"Come on then, Fletch. You wouldn't mind going back to Oz." I look over at the boys, who are all smiling at me.

Fletch laughs and puts his head in his hands.

**************

The boys had just gone onstage and finished the first three songs of the set, which they do all in a row: One for the Radio, Everybody Knows and Going Through the Motions, all songs from radio:ACTIVE.

I know the boys are jumping around a lot, but it honestly shocked me that they could sweat so much in only ten minutes.

Because the boys were at Wembley Arena tonight, they were having a tour DVD made, as they usually do when they perform at Wembley, so there were cameras all around the stage.