Driving on a One Way Street

December 3, 2011

Tom, Gi, Lara and I had been flown out to Australia because Dougie had made it to the final. 

We were all in a little hut just outside of the I'm a Celeb camp set up, sat around a little TV, watching as Dougie and Mark made their way down a big red carpet bridge towards Ant and Dec. 

Mark's family members and girlfriend were here too, as he was the other person in the final. 

I was nervous. I wanted Dougie to win. It would be so great for him, and he was great on the show, but there was a good chance Mark could win too. 

All of the other contestants who had been voted out sat on bleacher style seats, watching Mark and Dougie. They were all showered and clean, and looking like civilized people again, while Mark and Dougie were stood still in their rank jungle clothes. 

"Okay then, the time has come to reveal our winner." Ant says, as the camera cuts to Mark and Dougie standing with their arms around each other. I feel Gi take my hand and squeeze it nervously. "You've made your decision and the votes have been counted." He continues. 

"Dougie. Mark. The public have been voting for you both night after night." Dec continues. "Millions of people have been watching your every move, and we've all loved it." Dougie stifles a laugh. Probably thinking of a rude joke in his head. 

"Okay then, this is it." Ant continues. "The public have had their say and it's time to reveal the result you've been waiting for." He looks to Dougie and Mark. "Good luck." Then, he looks back at the camera. "The winner of I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here 2011, and the new king of the jungle is-" 

Then, they both do that awful dramatic pause they do on TV while they pan to both Mark and Dougie. Gross. 

"Dougie!" Ant says, as the former contestants start to cheer, and Mark pulls Dougie in for a bear hug. Dougie looks shocked beyond belief, and I fear he might pass out on live television. Everyone in the tent starts to clap and cheer, especially Tom.

They ask Mark some questions, and Dougie actually looks like he's just woken up from a comma. 

"Is he gonna pass out?" I whisper to Gi. 

"No, no." She pauses and I look over at her. She looks at me. "Probably not."  But Dougie's shocked face slowly turns into  a smile, as he shakes hands with Ant and Dec. 

"He's gonna fall over, bless him! How do you feel?" Dec asks. 

"S-s- I...I don- I'm lost for wo- my mouth is so dry." He says, putting a hand over his mouth. 

"How would you sum up the past couple of weeks?" Ant asks. Dougie shakes his head.

"Oh, its been...the best couple of weeks of my life. I wish everyone could experience that." He smiles. 

"Dougie get yourself on your throne here, cause it's time to crown the new king of the jungle." Dec says, and the celebrities start to cheer. 

They had two former winners crown Dougie. The crown was make of sticks and leaves and yellow flowers, and they also gave him a staff- type thing made out of tree bark. 

"Dougie Poynter, everybody!" Dec exclaims and Dougie cheers, holding onto his crown. 

"And all that is left for us to say now is, King of the Jungle, Dougie, you're a celebrity-" Ant starts. 

"Get yourself out of here!" Him and Dec say in unison. 

Dougie leaps off the throne, raising his tree-staff thing in the air, and walking towards the red carpet bridge which is now covered in confetti streaming down from the sky. A bunch of crew workers usher Tom, Gi, Lara and I towards the bridge.