It's Been This Way For A While

December 25, 2007

Here's the thing:

Dougie and I didn't really want to do anything for our two year anniversary. We're just not those type of people, and also there's the fact that our anniversary is on Christmas Day.

But when Tom Fletcher found out about this, there was no stopping him.

"Of course we're all celebrating your anniversary!" Tom proclaimed a few weeks back.

"But it falls on Christmas." I say, trying to discourage him in changing around any traditions he may have, and loves to keep.

"We're celebrating especially because it falls on Christmas!" Tom said. "That's, like, the coolest thing I've ever heard of!"

"Tom, I don't know-" I start.

"Lilly, don't worry about it! All you have to do is make sure we're all able to fit in your house." He says.

"Oh so now this party is taking place at my house?" I ask, chuckling.

"Only of course." Tom smiles.

And of course, that's what ended up happening. So while everyone visited their families on Christmas eve, I stayed home and prepared food for the gathering the next day.

I've never cooked a Sunday roast, let alone Christmas dinner, so I wanted to stay home even though, of course Dougie invited me home to Essex.

But it all worked out. And on 4 o'clock on Christmas day, there was a knock at the door.

"I'll get it!" I call out to Dougie over the Christmas music playing. I rush to the door and open it, only to find Tom, Gi and Danny.

"Happy Anniversary!" Tom and Danny say.

"And Merry Christmas!" Gi says. "I didn't know we were doing it right away." She says, softly hitting Danny and Tom on the shoulders. They laugh.

"Come in, come in." I laugh.

"And where's Dougie?" Danny asks.

"Oh the beauty queen? Getting ready." I say. But just then, i feel myself being picked up and placed back down, then being turned around.

"I thought we agreed you were the beauty queen?" Dougie asks.

Then, Harry opens the door, without even knocking, with Izzy by his side.

"Hey!" He yells, as they come in and everyone exchanges hugs.

the night was amazing. We ate, we danced, we gave each other gifts, and of course we had amazing talks, like always.

"Thank you Tom." I say off to the side, while everyone else is talking. "You were right. This was amazing fun."

"I'm glad I could help you with this party, Lilly." Tom smiles, placing his hand over mine. "Although in all fairness, I didn't do much."

"You do a lot more than you think."

"Okay." Danny starts. "We're all going to go around and say what our favorite Christmas gift we ever got was. I'll go first. My red and white encore guitar when I was 12. Easy. I cried like a baby." He laughs. "Izzy?"

"Definitely my violin." She smiled.

"Well." Harry starts. " My parents got us a puppy when I was really young. Try and top that."

"How about a baby sister?" Tom asks.

"They told you that in January and it's Gi's turn." Harry says.

"Well...that's tough. I mean...I got a really nice expensive bike from my parents a couple years ago. It has a bell and a basket and everything. So I'd reckon that."

"Alright, now it's your turn Tom." Harry says.

"I told you. A little sister."

"Do I have to repeat myself? It can't be in January." Harry says.

"Fine then the best gift I ever got for Christmas was being born and being able to celebrate the best holiday of all time."

"LAME!" Harry shouts.

"And also kind of confusing..." Danny adds, his face scrunched up like he was pondering. I laugh.

"Lilly?" Tom asks.

"Um...probably my computer that you all got me." I say.

"Aw." Danny says. "How sweet."

"Alright." Harry says. "Finish us off Doug."

"Probably Zukie." He says.

the rest of the night we went on talking and drinking until the early hours of the morning when Harry, Izzy, Danny, Tom and Gi left.

Dougie and I were in bed. We had been for about half an hour, but I couldn't sleep. I turned to face him.

"Dougie." I whispered. "Are you awake?"

"Hm." He mumbled, telling me he wasn't really, but he wasn't fully asleep.

"I lied." I whisper.

"About what?" He asks, still definitely not awake enough to comprehend what's going on. I can tell by the breath in his voice.

"My favorite Christmas gift." I whisper. "It wasn't my laptop."

"mhm." Dougie says, like he already knows.

"It...it was you." I say.

"Mhm." He says. I know he won't remember any of this, but I didn't mind.

"Thank you." I say.

"Yeah." He mumbles. I smile to myself.

//