Tattoos Fade by the Hour

December 15, 2004

Today will be the second show of the Room on the Third Floor Tour. We have two more shows after tonight until, what Fletch is calling, "Holiday Break".

Although the boys have never told me much about their religious preferences (except Danny, who was an alter boy, bless him), they all celebrate Christmas.

And speaking of Fletch, he recovered from his flu and is now on the road with us.

I sent the boys to sound check and began folding some of their clothes in the dressing room, when Fletch walks in.

"Hey Fletch." I said as he walked in, closing the door behind him.

"Hey Lilly, can I talk to you for a second?" He said.

"Sure." I replied. Fletch sat on the couch behind me as I continued to fold.

"I think the boys are smoking cannabis." He says.

I stop what I'm doing immediately.

"What?" I ask turning to him.

"The boys were out really late last night. The bus stank this morning." Fletch says.

Did I know the boys were smoking last night?

Yup.

Was I supposed to stop them and tell Fletch?

Absolutely.

Was I going to tell Fletch?

Hell no.

"Fletch, I- I mean, that's a pretty big accusation. You told the boys not to smoke. I reckon they would follow your orders. They're just.... not those kind of boys." I say, trying to save them.

"Lilly, I'm going to go out on a limb here, and guess you don't have that much experience with teenage boys." Fletch says, crossing his arms.

"No, no I don't." I say.

"Well here's some insight on them. All teenage boys are those kind of boys." Fletch says.

Uh oh.

"I'm going to talk to them." He says, getting up.

"No!" I yell, blocking the door.

"What?" He asks.

Fletch, he's a nice guy, but he's not a guy you want to mess with. If he finds out I know the boys are smoking and I didn't tell him...that's the end of me.

"No offence, Fletch, but there's no bloody way the boys would tell you if they had drugs, even if you scared them. I'll get it out of them." I say opening the door to leave.

"What makes you think they'll tell you and not me?" Fletch asks.

"Because I am the kryptonite of a teenage boy." I say. Fletch looks at me curiously. "I'm a girl." I say, leaving and going backstage.

*********************************************

When the boys got off stage, they were super excited. Even Dougie was smiling.

"Guys!" I said, going to them immediately.

"Lilly! Hey!" Tom says smiling.

"Aww Lilly that was awesome!" Harry says. "I reckon tonight will be an amazing one!" Harry says.

"And to celebrate tonight we're going to get wasted!" Danny yells.

"Shut up!" I stop him.

"What?" He asks.

"You can't smoke anymore...for like...two weeks...at least." I say.

"What? That's not fair!" Harry says.

"Fletch knows." I say.

"What?" Tom asks worried.

"What do we do?" Danny freaks out.

"Be calm." I say. "I know you're all pot heads, but try to lay off...and hide your weed...I'm looking at you, Harry." I say. He sighs, no denying.

"Yeah, she's right." Dougie said, quietly. The boys looked at him like he was crazy for talking, but I learned the best way to keep Dougie talking was to not look at him like that.

"If Fletch asks you anything, deny, deny, deny." I say. They nod and I tell them to get ready for the show.

I know this isn't going to work out. 

//