We're Still Together

February 19, 2009

We'd been in Australia for ten days and the boys have not finished that many songs. They had the beginning of a lot of songs, and the endings of a few, but they certainly weren't getting as much done this time round as they had when we were here for radio:ACTIVE.

You can probably guess what they've been doing instead of writing.

Jason had started noticing the boys constant urge to party as well, and every time he tried to convince them to stay in the studio just a little longer, they would just say they'd get it done later.

But later was quickly becoming now.

I barely ever went out with the boys. I was starting to think the trip to Australia was a bad idea and a waste of money.

"What's going on with them?" Jason asks one night, as we're the last one's to leave the studio. The boys had already left for a club.

"I know just as much as you." I say, shrugging. Feeling exhausted quite honestly.

"That's not true." Jason grins kindly. "You know more about those boys than anyone else."

"I know that they're famous and young and that they really like beer. And liquor. But if you're asking the secret to get them back in the studio then I have no answers." I laugh.

"Damn." Jason shakes his head.

"They still...want to make music, right? Cause I mean...everyone always comes to me if they want to know anything about the boys but...I'm no professional. Not like you or Fletch. I'm not a proper producer and I'm sure as hell not media trained. But you are, Jason. I just want to make sure they aren't having thoughts about-"

"Lilly." Jason starts. "Can I stop you?" I nod. "The boys may want to party, but they want to make this album. They just are going to have to bargain their time better."

"Why?" I ask.

"Last trip here was so amazing that sometimes I think the boys don't even think about the work that they did. They forget about the hours of recording that they put in to make such a bloody good album." He says. "I may not know all the boys' deep dark secrets like you. But I know they love music. Even in the short time we're having in the studio."

"I don't know what they would do without you." I smile.

"Crash and burn." Jason laughs.

//