The Red Dahlia

"Someone needed to pay for that! So you can hate me or you can understand

"Someone needed to pay for that! So you can hate me or you can understand."

When the Lodges first arrived in Riverdale, it felt like a decent place to Mickey. It felt like the total opposite of their life in New York, which was sinful and dangerous. In reality, Riverdale is more like their old hometown that she thought. Everyone is hiding something in Riverdale. Jughead likes to describe it as a town of lost sounds. He thinks everyone is wrestling with demons.

Mickey can relate to that. She is currently facing two demons—one being her father, who is laid up in ICU at the hospital, fighting for his life. That should be the biggest problem of all, but the real issue is that her father was her and Veronica's mightiest protector. At least against the rival mob families. His blood is now in the water and the sharks are closing in.

"From my family to yours," Elio smells the flowers in his hands before handing them to Mickey. His family, the Grandes, have clearly sent him with the gift for business.

"While I love a grand gesture, Elio," Veronica begins, "diamonds are a girl's best friend."

"I have a feeling this is less about Elio trying to flirt and more about Daddy, Vee." Mickey eyes Elio suspiciously, "I'm right, aren't I?"

"You've always been the savvy one," Elio nods. "These are for your father. I heard he was still in the hospital and wanted to come here, personally, to let you know I'm praying he pulls through."

Veronica folds her arms over her chest, "To paraphrase Samuel Clemens, reports of his death have been greatly exaggerated." Her fashion statement doesn't co-sign with her words. She's wearing all black and an even darker lipstick shade to add sorrow to the recent events.

Mickey's the complete opposite. Fathers are suppose to protect their children and all their father has done is inflict fear and try to put them under his control. There aren't any feelings of distress coursing through her body. Or maybe she's compartmentalizing.

Elio takes a step closer to the sister, looking over their faces for something. "The vultures are circling. They're eager to swoop in on your father's territory."

Mickey runs her hand over his tie without a hint of hesitancy. "Are you talking about yourself, Elio? Was that a threat?"

"I would never," he takes her hand into his. When she pulls away, he continues, "Jobs like the hit on your father? It's very rare they go unfinished." Elio leaves after that without saying anything else.

All Mickey can think about is whether they need to worry about another attempt or if they're in danger.

Veronica senses her sister's concern, so she tries to get her mind off of it by telling Mickey that she hired Jughead to find out who shot their father. "I paid him half up front. He'll get the other half when he gives us a name."