In a Lonely Place

✿

It's eerie being in school before anyone else. It's like being on a movie set—minus the lights. It's ghostly.

Mickey received a text from Archie to meet him in front of the boys' locker room early. She agreed quickly because it was a better alternative to sitting through another awkward family breakfast. A war is brewing between her mother and sister. It's put Mickey in a weird position; she speaks to her mother more, but Veronica isn't speaking to Mickey.

"Boo!"

She jumps at Archie's touch. "Archie!" Mickey punches his shoulder. "Don't sneak up on me like that!"

He composes himself from laughing and asks, "What were you thinking about?"

"I was thinking...why am I here so early to meet such a jerk?"

Archie closes the space between them, placing his hands on her waist. "I think you know why we're here, Mick."

She sucks in a breath.

First, he moves one hand to the nape of her neck. Then he moves in slowly. Their noses touch first and then—

Archie pulls away and knits his eyebrows together. "Do you hear that?"

"What?" There's a hint of irritation in her voice.

"Someone's here." He squares his shoulders and moves to press his ear against the blue door. "Someone is definitely in there."

"Then we should definitely go before they catch us." Mickey tries to pull him away, but he resists. When he opens the door, she stupidly follows him.

If they aren't going to get in trouble for making out before school hours, maybe she'll get in trouble for being in the boys' locker room. Again.

Archie is proved right when they walk into a steamy locker room. The two of them walk past the row of lockers.

Mickey freezes when she sees Jughead standing over the sink with a toothbrush sticking out of his mouth.

Jughead notices them through the mirror he's looking in. He swivels around to face them.

The two boys laugh at each other.

Jughead adjusts the towel wrapped around his waist and sits on the porcelain sink.

Mickey almost starts to check him out, but then she remembers why she's in school this early in the first place. "What are you doing here?"