Heart of Darkness

"What's there to talk about?"

Archie music is blasting on the highest volume as he pounds on his punching bag. His hands are taped up and his body is glistening with sweat.

It's not a bad view, as far as Mickey's concerned. "You look really sexy when you're like this," she comments.

He gives her a look through the few strands of hair that have fallen over her eye. Then he throws another punch at the bag.

Fred's knock on the door is barely audible, but Mickey notices and gestures for Archie to lower the music.

Archie does so and turns to look at his Dad.

"Hey, Rocky."

"Hey," Archie breathes out heavily.

Fred looks concerned. "You know, I never thought I'd say that I miss you playing guitar, but..."

"Ah. Sorry, Dad," Archie begins hitting on the bag again. "Just trying to get back in fighting shape for the field."

"So, this is all for football?"

Archie stops and looks at his Dad again, "Coach Clayton's about to set the starting line-up, name a new captain. It's like you said," he begins punching again, "football gets me a scholarship, which gets me to college, where I can study music. Captains get scholarships."

Fred knows there's nothing he can say to his son to make him feel better, so he just leaves him to it, giving Mickey a smile on the way out.

"He's worried about you," Mickey says after closing the door.

"Worried about what?"

"You're going through your first real heartbreak."

Archie can't help but to roll his eyes. "Don't look at me like that."

"What look?" 'Mickey asks innocently.

"Just turn the music back up."

"I'm going to get something to drink." Mickey leaves him to his workout and loud music to check on Fred, who's working in the kitchen.

Fred looks up when Mickey takes the seat across from him. With a deep sigh, he picks up his glass of whiskey and takes a sip. "Can you do me a favor and keep an eye on him? Make sure he's okay?"